Power rating for push pull configuration question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2002, 01:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Power rating for push pull configuration question

I am recently in the process of repairing a Bogen Challenger Amp with a push pull configuration of 6AQ5 tubes. The rating on the manufactures label states 10 Watts power output. My question is that the tube characteristics book rates each tube at 10 Watts maximum power output capability. In a push pull configuration, wouldn't that be 20 Watts total for the Amp?
Thanks,

--Mike
Old 1st May 2002, 09:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Mike,

Your question is not easy to answer. I am not familiar with Bogen Amps.

6AQ5 is rated at 12W dissipation. Power output is another issue altogether (i.e. if I read into your question). It is dependent on the circuitry employed. You can measure your ampís power output using a signal generator, an 8 ohm 50W load resistor and a scope.
Connect the load resistor to the speaker output of your amp.
Connect the input to your scope across this load.
Set the signal generator to 1kHz (sine wave) and its output level to minimum position. Turn the amp on and your volume pot to maximum. If the scope does not show dancing wave forms, then you are ready to measure.
Slowly increase the output of your signal generator until the crest of your wave form just starts to flatten or bend at a sharp angle. Turn back the output of your signal generator just a little until the wave form resembles a smooth sine wave. This is your maximum output. THD at this level is roughly 2%.
Measure the peak to peak voltage on the scope using the graduations on the screen.
Now your RMS output is Vrms = (Vpk-pk)/2.828 and your power output is (Vrms x Vrms)/8 (load resistor).

Hope this what you wanted.

Mohan
Old 2nd May 2002, 10:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The 6AQ8 is a mini version of a 6V6 and will have the output close to that of a 6BQ5. So you are looking at around 15 watts in PP and that is cranked all the way up. For clean sound that you can play all day with little distortion figure on 10 watts. Good capasators and efficiant speakers make that more than enough.
Old 13th May 2002, 02:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

In my Sylvania tube manual this tube is listed at 2 watts output
at 180 volts, pentode operation with a 5500 ohm load.
With a 5000 ohm load and 250 volts the output is 4.5 watt so
push pull should be about 10 watts.

Regards, Bob
Old 15th May 2002, 02:50 AM   #5
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
miked15, do you have a schematic for this?

ive got a pair of 6AQ5's (6005's actually, but they work the same), and i can't really find much in the way of schematics.

Thanks.

from the GE whitepapers on the 6005, it says its 4.5w (single tube) or 10w push-pull.

Hide this!Advertise here!