Bell Sound Systems Old Gem - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2004, 05:09 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What would you do?
Replace ALL of the electrolytic capacitors.
Old 6th May 2004, 05:40 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

OK. Is there a posting re: discharging, replacing and then charging caps? Also, where could I find speaker connectors that'd fit this? And maybe adaptors for the threaded mic inputs?
Old 9th May 2004, 04:28 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Bell Sound

Hi uncoolcentral

Bell Sound was located on Marion Rd. in Columbus, OH. (My old stomping ground!) They went out of business sometime in the mid to late 60's, IIRC. Thompson Ramo Woolridge (something like that) I believe was their parent company. I've owned a Bell 6060 intergrated amp and an AM-FM stereo tuner but alas they're no longer in existance. That tuner was one of the best tuners I've ever owned.

I would definitly replace ALL the electroylitic capacitors, AES has a good selection of caps. www.tubesandmore.com
Check all those carbon comp. resistors, they can drift way off value just from age. Also check output tube bias/current.
Quote:
Are the beehive things strictly caps?
What about the maroon things?
Yup most likely caps. Discharge the caps through a 10k 2W resistor. Don't use a screwdriver! And since you ask this question it looks like you don't know your way around a tube amp, so I highly advise caution.
HIGH voltage in a tube amp/circuit can cause severe burns, even death or fire! Or in the very least a sore arm!
As for the spkr jacks AES has a 4 pin plug that should be just what you need.
Very important: Make sure the CORRECT fuse is in place before powering up. Also use an Isolated power transformer/supply.
I post these cautions because you're a new member and I don't know your qualification or experience.
So be careful, learn first and have fun.

Wayne

BTW Nice find!
Old 9th May 2004, 04:48 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Just bought 3 22uf/450v caps and one 47uf/50v for the 6v6 cathode bypass from Kevin at www.houseofscience.com - Also grabbed a couple of 4-pin speaker connectors - might make a bud box w/ 1/4" for several different impedances too.

I've got plenty of hobby experience working on electronics - from electric toys, FX pedals, friends' Xboxes, minor amp repair, etc. - but sure enough, other than some work on a Chandler tube pedal, this is my first foray into old/tube (read - could kill me) electronics.

I'll take every precaution - and will leave a letter addressed to my lawyer absolving all BBS posters of responsibility should I get crispy.

Thanks for your help.

BTW - as far as I can tell, this is about a rare a piece as they come. The only google references are re: schematics, and there are only a couple. (search for ["bell sound systems" 3710a] and this thread is all that comes up!) Should I consider selling this once it's restored? Or should I give it to a museum?
Old 9th May 2004, 06:10 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Please don't give it to a museum. After restoration, the unit should GO TO WORK. Way too much good stuff is in collections doing nothing.

With the right speaker, that amp could work for a singer/guitar picker, beautifully.
Old 10th May 2004, 04:41 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I was half kidding about the museum jab I pick and sing plenty, so I'm sure I can find use - even if it's just studio fodder. (some of my bands/songs etc. on my portal http://www.uncoolcentral.com )

I've been tossing around the idea of making a cab - incorporating the amp either right on top - or even buiding it INTO the cab somehow. (If you *really* bug me - I'll even show off my ultra-ghetto concept drawings.)

Any speaker recommendations? This puppy can take all sorts of loads with zero modification... so use your imagination
Old 10th May 2004, 04:59 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by uncoolcentral
I'll even show off my ultra-ghetto concept drawings.)
Yes please

dave
Old 10th May 2004, 10:25 AM   #18
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
If you *really* bug me - I'll even show off my ultra-ghetto concept drawings.)
We bug you...

Cheers,
Old 10th May 2004, 03:57 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

here's the feng shui concept draft of a cab incorporating the two functional faces of the amp. Not too sure of the placement (controls are towards the rear of the right side of the amp) But it's a start.

I always liked the ampeg flip amps (b-15 etc)
http://the-operators.com/images/instruments/amp2.gif

- and might want to do something like that - i.e. flip the head upside-down into the top of the cab when it's traveling etc.

More drawings soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabidea.jpg (13.3 KB, 270 views)
Old 10th May 2004, 06:20 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry I did not previously indicate what I think the tubes are doing. The 6SJ7 (pentode) is probably the "mike" preamp. The 6SL7 (twin triode) is a driver/phase splitter. The 6V6s are the O/P devices and the 5Y3 is the B+ rectifier.

My "read" is that the phono I/P is unequalized high impedance line level and was intended to be used with piezoelectric phono cartridges.

I will not hazard a guess about how the instrument I/P is set up without looking at a schematic.

Hide this!Advertise here!