PTP wiring - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2004, 08:18 PM   #1
svokke is offline svokke  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default PTP wiring

I was going to mod/rebuild an ugly sounding guitar amp. I opened it up and I was a bit surprised bij the view of the insides. No terminal strips, PCB, eylet board or turret board. Just all the components soldered against eachother very tightly. Not really mod-friendly.
Is this kind of point-to-point wiring worth the extra effort of modding. Or is it better to use some board that I have laying around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg preamp.jpg (96.6 KB, 283 views)
Old 1st May 2004, 08:21 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

And here is a view of the whole amp. Note the mounting of the capacitors on the left. Three 470F/450V capacitors mounted to the chassis wit cable ties. I'll mount the capacitors with proper clamps on an ALU L-profile
Attached Images
File Type: jpg total.jpg (52.2 KB, 279 views)
Old 1st May 2004, 09:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That's UGLY! Based on what your photos show, I don't think you should waste either your time or your money on that amp. The quality of the "iron" in it rates to be as POOR as the construction.

Turning dung into Gold is just not possible.
Old 1st May 2004, 10:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

If it doesn't sound good it can be due to a number of things but I doubt the P2P wiring is the main culprit no matter how sloppy it looks.

Maybe the tubes are biased wrong or maybe the amp never was any good to start with.

Either way it's hard to tell without an o-scope.

Cheers,
Old 2nd May 2004, 04:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I also doubt the bad sound is due the PTP job. I traced the schematic and there you can see what went wrong.
The main problem is that there is almost no midrange in both channels.
Also the fact that there is too much bass early in the high-gain channel preamp makes the distortion rough.
So this looks like a nice chassis for a DIY amp. I can even reuse the transformers. The power transformer is very big and doesn't get warm, the output transformer is "standard" quality for a guitar amp. "Undersized" or "flimsy" this is called in the hifi community
Old 2nd May 2004, 05:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

"If it doesn't sound good it can be due to a number of things but I doubt the P2P wiring is the main culprit no matter how sloppy it looks.
Maybe the tubes are biased wrong or maybe the amp never was any good to start with.
Either way it's hard to tell without an o-scope."

fdegrove is absolutely correct.

IMHO, what you have is a very poorly designed and very poorly constructed amplifier.

I've seen many sloppy looking amplifiers ... some of them sounded heavenly.

Hide this!Advertise here!