• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PTP wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was going to mod/rebuild an ugly sounding guitar amp. I opened it up and I was a bit surprised bij the view of the insides. No terminal strips, PCB, eylet board or turret board. Just all the components soldered against eachother very tightly. Not really mod-friendly.
Is this kind of point-to-point wiring worth the extra effort of modding. Or is it better to use some board that I have laying around.

Attachments

• preamp.jpg
    preamp.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 304
And here is a view of the whole amp. Note the mounting of the capacitors on the left. Three 470µF/450V capacitors mounted to the chassis wit cable ties. I'll mount the capacitors with proper clamps on an ALU L-profile

Attachments

• total.jpg
    total.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 308
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

If it doesn't sound good it can be due to a number of things but I doubt the P2P wiring is the main culprit no matter how sloppy it looks.

Maybe the tubes are biased wrong or maybe the amp never was any good to start with.

Either way it's hard to tell without an o-scope.

Cheers,;)

I also doubt the bad sound is due the PTP job. I traced the schematic and there you can see what went wrong.
The main problem is that there is almost no midrange in both channels.
Also the fact that there is too much bass early in the high-gain channel preamp makes the distortion rough.
So this looks like a nice chassis for a DIY amp. I can even reuse the transformers. The power transformer is very big and doesn't get warm, the output transformer is "standard" quality for a guitar amp. "Undersized" or "flimsy" this is called in the hifi community ;)

"If it doesn't sound good it can be due to a number of things but I doubt the P2P wiring is the main culprit no matter how sloppy it looks.
Maybe the tubes are biased wrong or maybe the amp never was any good to start with.
Either way it's hard to tell without an o-scope."

fdegrove is absolutely correct.

IMHO, what you have is a very poorly designed and very poorly constructed amplifier.

I've seen many sloppy looking amplifiers ... some of them sounded heavenly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.