• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EF86

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

There should still be plenty EF86s around in Slovenia made by Tesla, Ei, Philips, Svetlana etc....

Substitutes are likely to be harder to find but range from the:

EF806S, E80F, EF804, EF804s and EF804S.

In the USA the 6267 is a direct substitute for the EF86.

Cheers,;)

Quote: "Substitutes are likely to be harder to find but range from the:

EF806S, E80F, EF804, EF804s and EF804S."

Would it be OK to use EF80 or EF84 as well?

Are they direct ( or almost ) substitutions to EF86?

And this might be an off topic, but is UL84 a substitution of EL84? (With a different HT voltage).

:confused:

The European valve coding system is the more logical one, though I admit it has some quirks.

AFAIK The EF86 is the only one that was specifically designed for audio use. All the other EF's were intended primarily for RF use. Some are almost useless for audio.

Even if your budget is limited, a couple of EF86's won't break the bank. If you're a poor student, maybe a kind Kiwi will take pity and post you a couple of them ;) Since they are normally used at very low currents, they last practically for ever, even used ones.

edit: Typo's and flag recognition corrected :eek:

dhaen said:
AFAIK The EF86 is the only one that was specifically designed for audio use. All the other EF's were intended primarily for RF use. Some are almost useless for audio.

According to the databook the EF83 was also intended for audio. I was told it is actually an EF86 with a different control grid to give it remote cut-off characteristics. It has not much use for audiophiles IMO unless you are in variable gain amps ;)

Cheers

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CONFUSED?...HERE'S THE FIFTH ELEMENT.

Hi,

I hate European valve coding system.

No need to, except that you seem to have picked those that actually don't adhere to the coding system too well...

So, no the EF80 isn't an ordinary E80F, the E86F doesn't exist but it has an SQ equivalent going by the name of EF806S...
Different manufacteres had different coding systems and if you want oddballs then I'd take a look at Brimar...:D

The American system seems simple enough but it doesn't always make sense either.

6DJ8 6 is the heater voltage, than you have two random characters, 8 is the number of elements : 2 anode, grids, cathodes, heaters makes 8...they never count the shield as an element.

FRANK PHILIPSE

Databooks are always a good investment especially if you're planning on investing in valves...
Just be glad you only have to deal with the audio related valves...

Cheers,;)

Pjotr said:

According to the databook the EF83 was also intended for audio. I was told it is actually an EF86 with a different control grid to give it remote cut-off characteristics. It has not much use for audiophiles IMO unless you are in variable gain amps ;)

Cheers
Indeed you are right Pjotr :) Thank you for the info.
This is not a valve that I had come across.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

This is not a valve that I had come across.

Actually, I can't even think of a single amp or preamp that ever used it...
Does anyone? Pjotr perhaps?

EDIT: Found the answer to my Q, apparently it was used for AGC in taperecorders.

To get back to the EF86, the only absolute equivalents I know are the EF806S (the pro version of the EF86 if you like by TFK), the British Z729 by Marconi and GEC probably other UK manufacturers/licensees (actually that's the best EF86 I've ever heard but long gone), the US never made it themselves AFAIK but imported from Europe and rebranded it as 6267.
In the the US the 5879 was the more popular low noise input penthode, I think.

Cheers, ;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
You mean like this?

When you post a new message, a block called vB Code is above the text area. You use the quote button, then you cut/paste the text of interest and give the OK.

On the subject of the EF86, it is supposed to have much lower noise at AF and be less microphonic than most other small signal pentodes. That wouldn't be true of the EF80.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.