• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Russian rectifiers and diodes?

"Think JJ, sovtek, and electro harmonix. All Russian made tubes. These two manufacturers are reproducing a gaggle of current production replacements for old brands."

Yes you're right of course, forgot about those. But I was thinking more about some unusual stuff (no US copies).

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use 5C3S Svetlana 5U4G better equivalent.
1700volts at 750mA cathode current. A beast of a valve. Beats GZ34 many times and it is a bright emitter so heat up time is extremely fast.

@JonSnell,

The 5C3S datasheet I checked shows indeed an “Anode Current Peak =750 ma, but it appears that the ”Rectified Current” = 250 ma max. Is this per anode? Am I reading this wrong? How does it “beat the GZ34 many times”?

Last edited:
Many/Most 5AR4 rectifiers tend to arc when . . .

The maximum input capacitance is exceeded
And/Or . . .
The minimum series resistance in the circuit is not met, versus the voltage to the plates.

Example:
Take a power transformer, primary 120VAC DCR = 30 Ohms, secondary 360-0-360VAC, DCR of 1/2 secondary = 50 Ohms.
Then, 30 Ohms stepped up by the primary to secondary ratio of 3; 3 x 30 = 90 Ohms
50 Ohms of 1/2 secondary
90 + 50 = 140 Ohms.
Check that total DCR and what input capacitance uF you use, versus a very well detailed 5AR4 data sheet.

JJ manufactures a GZ34s.
I do not know if that is exactly the same as a 5AR4.
Check the JJ GZ34s graph for 60uF max, and the required minimum series resistance, versus the maximum plate voltage for that series resistance.
If you are exceeding those ratings, do not complain.

Your Mileage May Vary
Good luck!

Last edited: