• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is it a real Mullard?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone ever seen this labeling on a real Mullard 5ar4?

Attachments

• 3AE3F0A5-5155-46E6-BDF5-3364D301DFF3.jpg
    3AE3F0A5-5155-46E6-BDF5-3364D301DFF3.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 272
  • 86F59055-707F-40C7-8824-FE2D72570559.jpeg
    86F59055-707F-40C7-8824-FE2D72570559.jpeg
    954.4 KB · Views: 271
Would you rather use it or a vintage copper 5ar4 in a SE KT88 amp?
Damned if I know. They're all pretty much the same to me as long as they're NOS American or European. I don't have or use any Chinese or Russian tubes at all. The Chinese are unreliable and the Russkies are short lived, or so I am told. I do have a few dozen NOS 5AR4s from Amperex, Mullard, RCA, GE, Sylvania (big bottle) and perhaps others. But no metal base "Telles" or super rare types. It's absurd that some of these command such obscene prices that I paid a couple of bucks for thirty years ago. I guess it started when the Asians began buying up all the old tubes they could get their fat little hands on back in the eighties. That's about the time I began saving them up as well. And I'm glad I did. :nod:

Thankfully I have four 5ar4s from the old days. They are obscenely expensive now. The new ones have let me down several times to the point of using diodes if it doesn’t warrant the expense of a real tube. Sad ain't it?
What do you recommend in 6 volt rectifiers?

Use a UF4007 diode in series with the transformer HV AC output winding (two diodes) before the GZ34 plates. This will about double the PIV rating and then the Sovtek GZ34 performs well with most tube amps. It does not effect the sound either. You must use a fast diode such as the UF4007, not a 1N4007. The Sovtek GZ34 is reliable at lower voltages, just does not tolerate the higher side of voltages in some amplifiers like the vintage Mullard GZ34s.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.