• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Loctal sockets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i don't know about "loctal" sockets but when octal sockets are tight and firm it's a good thing.

and if you are pulling tubes straight out without using a gentle circular motion your doing it wrong (same goes for inserting them, use a slight circular "tilt" motion until the tube is fully seated, don't just jam them in!)

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Yep, but pulling the glue loose off of bases or hearing things crack is a bit too much. I don't like putting all my weight on a tube to get it into a socket. Loctal is a lot tighter than ovtal, not much the same other than number of pins. Think noval pins but a bit ticker.

@Ket: I think those are Magnovals you are refering to?

I notice the russian and old US ones have completely different pin styles than the chinese junk. They tend to work with two plates to pin the tube pin, vs the round pinch pin made out of adamantium in the chinese sockets.

DAK; I'm in europe not sure shipping will keep it interesing.

Attachments

• 9-pinLoctal.jpg
    9-pinLoctal.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 398
  • TT15-mar-QQ.pdf
    475.9 KB · Views: 78
@Ket: I think those are Magnovals you are refering to?

I notice the russian and old US ones have completely different pin styles than the chinese junk. They tend to work with two plates to pin the tube pin, vs the round pinch pin made out of adamantium in the chinese sockets.

DAK; I'm in europe not sure shipping will keep it interesing.

They are not too heavy. Probably around 10 ounces in weight for 4. You can try and check shipping from usa to your country. Small packet airmail or letter post.

Typically, there is a small, round bump stamped into the metal band that goes around the bottom of the tube. Tip the tube in the direction of the bump (push from the top of the opposite side) and the tube should just pop out. A small drop of penetrating oil from the bottom of the tube socket on the center pin might also help with this.

yep, it's for my etracer plus some for a 4P1L amp in the future. The current socket in the etracer will not hold any tube as they are so tight, I need to keep pressure on the tube to make contact with the pins and do the trace like that. Same with the magnoval sockets really, can't get any tube in there, they are so tight.

Yeah, with you on the magnoval too. I don't have a lot of traffic through that socket, if that changes then I'd be inclined to try one of the PTFE sockets from the various Asian vendors.

Shame it's got 9 pins and you've already soldered the ceramic stock socket in place, lots of rework there if you do change it.

Yeah, tell me about it. Have half a mind to order a new plate and gather new sockets for a complete overhaul. I've already order those teflon sockets for the typs they have.

The P socket I have already destroyed getting a KC3 out of there, as it locked into place and would not come out again. Only tested one tube in it. Most of those chinese sockets are complete trash.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.