• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Film cap's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone tell me what is meant by film capacitors? They are suggested for audio applications.
Are any of the following types film caps and are they suitable for audio applications?
Orange Drops - Polypropyle
Silver Mica
Mallory (non-inductive)

Regards
Henk Koetzier

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Film capacitors use a plastic film as the dielectric (insulator) between the (conductive) plates of a capacitor. Plastics used are; polytetrafluorethylene, polystyrene, polypropylene, polycarbonate, and polyteraphylate (polyester).

Silvered mica uses naturally occurring cleaved sheets of mica as the dielectric. Because mica is a natural material, it is variable quality. In general, silvered mica is not quite as good as polystyrene.

Those Mallorys are probably electrolytic. Some audio uses require electrolytics.

Search the forum and you will find lots of information...

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
The quick brown fox...

SY said:
You caused great pain to my Inner Polymer Chemist. It's "polyethyleneterphthalate" or "PET" or "polyester."

My apologies. You will have to admit, though, that "polyethyleneterphthalate" doesn't roll easily off the tongue (or keyboard). I've just checked in my 1986 Mullard quick reference guide, and it splits them into two words, "polyethylene terephthalate". Which is still a tongue twister.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.