• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sim of RCA Tube Manual 50 Watt Amplifier - results and questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did a simulation of this circuit...

tube-audio-amp.jpg

...except I substituted 6BL8 for the 7199 input stage/phase splitter, 6AC7 instead of 6CB6 push-pull driver, and 6L6GC instead of 7027A.

I used a model of a Dyna A470 OPT (the Stereo 70 one).

Result? It's very sensitive. It takes only about 240mV peak to get 47W continuous output into 4 ohms. Otherwise it looks excellent.

To reduce that sensitivity... What would be the problem with using a 6SN7 in the first stage and phase splitter, to reduce the gain? The feedback network would need to be adjusted, of course, but the rest could remain the same. The triode section of 6BL8 isn't that much different from a 6SN7 triode (mu = 20, although 6SN7 gm is lower).

Come to think of it -- 6N6P has mu of about 20 and gm at > 5mA/V. That's very close to the triode section of a 6BL8.

I would rather it got to full power with about 1V to 1.5V peak input.
-
I've attached the .asc in case anybody wants to check my work.
--

Attachments

• PP RCA-style_6BL8_6AC7_6L6GC DynaA470 (+450V)_00.asc
    10.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Yes, but of course the pot would always be used way down at like 7 or 8 o'clock. I suppose these were designed to be used with their input pots to set sensitivity, driven by an external preamp with its own volume control (a phono preamp or tape head preamp). Of course I'd want to drive it with a DAC or more modern phono preamp whose level matches that of a typical CD player's. Seems a shame to just throw gain away like that. Common problem with using vintage designs with digital sources. SY was always going on about that.

Yes, I'm seeing what you mean. Getting everything biased up correctly with a 6N6P in place of the 7199 increased harmonic distortion a whole lot. I guess that's because there's not as much gain to apply to the NFB loop. This amp is a tricky one for me.

I suppose it's one to build as designed and see how it works out. Wavebourn suggested 6F1P in place of the 7199, which is close to a 6BL8. I have a sleeve of 6AC7, which are electrically equivalent to 6CB6A (except without the shielding, as Wavebourn pointed out).

Over the years, SY, Wavebourn, and a few others here have brought up this design as an example of an excellent one. Who am I to try to mess with it?
--

...except I substituted 6BL8 for the 7199 input stage/phase splitter, 6AC7 instead of 6CB6 push-pull driver, and 6L6GC instead of 7027A.

I used a model of a Dyna A470 OPT (the Stereo 70 one).
Just an idea :cool:

Some more substitutions, UL = no screen stabiliser, and you end up with only 4 tubes and less sensitive input.
Mona

Attachments

• NotRCA.jpg
    NotRCA.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,768
i think that the whole point of the RCA design is the G2 regulation and the use of a high quality OPT, aside from topology.....i am not sure if the original OPT used in that amp is still available today....otherwise it may b hard to catch the essence of the amp as designed in those days...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.