Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

New Brimar valves made in the UK, coming soon...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2018, 12:27 AM   #1
nzoomed is offline nzoomed  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default New Brimar valves made in the UK, coming soon...

I know a few here have been following the great British valve project, and ive been in contact with them over the last couple of years and it looks like they have made great progress in getting the machinery needed to operational condition.

I think they managed to get an investor for the needed funds, which is good news.
If these tubes are up to standard, ill take them hands down over modern chinese or russian tubes any day.

I dont know what parts of eastern europe bought the old mullard tooling, but they have acquired alot of machinery which is amazing to see was saved, and I know they sourced from Serbia, which makes me think most of it was from the EI plant, as they were using Mullard and Telefunken machinery there.

From what i understand, the most important thing to get right is the alloy used on the cathodes, this not only is important to the sound of a tube but the longevity of them also.

I would love to know if the telefunken cathode formulas are still in the archives somewhere, I believe it was never patented so that it remained a trade secret.

I think this will be the hardest thing for them to achieve, but I wish these guys all the best.
Great British Valve Project - Brimar Thermionic Products - Official Site

Im most interested in some new ECC83 and EL34 to the market.
Old 15th July 2018, 12:53 AM   #2
DAK808 is offline DAK808  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzoomed View Post
I know a few here have been following the great British valve project, and ive been in contact with them over the last couple of years and it looks like they have made great progress in getting the machinery needed to operational condition.

I think they managed to get an investor for the needed funds, which is good news.
If these tubes are up to standard, ill take them hands down over modern chinese or russian tubes any day.

I dont know what parts of eastern europe bought the old mullard tooling, but they have acquired alot of machinery which is amazing to see was saved, and I know they sourced from Serbia, which makes me think most of it was from the EI plant, as they were using Mullard and Telefunken machinery there.

From what i understand, the most important thing to get right is the alloy used on the cathodes, this not only is important to the sound of a tube but the longevity of them also.

I would love to know if the telefunken cathode formulas are still in the archives somewhere, I believe it was never patented so that it remained a trade secret.

I think this will be the hardest thing for them to achieve, but I wish these guys all the best.
Great British Valve Project - Brimar Thermionic Products - Official Site

Im most interested in some new ECC83 and EL34 to the market.
I think one of the biggest hurdles for any new vacuum tube start up is the restrictions placed by ISO rules. Some of the raw materials used in vacuum tube production, lead for instance, are not being allowed in consumer products.
Old 15th July 2018, 01:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK808 View Post
I think one of the biggest hurdles for any new vacuum tube start up is the restrictions placed by ISO rules. Some of the raw materials used in vacuum tube production, lead for instance, are not being allowed in consumer products.
Its potentially a problem, but lead solder is still commonly available, and used in lots of electronics today.
Perhaps more of a problem is cathode materials, but i have no idea what chemicals or heavy metals are used in tube production.
I think grid wires are dipped in solder after being wound, but lead free solder could be used, everything else is welded together.
Old 15th July 2018, 01:34 AM   #4
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would be surprised if they can compete with China on prices.
I tend to buy from RS Components and most of their valves are from China and the prices are pretty good. Some of the valves are a bit microphonic but work OK.
Old 15th July 2018, 02:52 AM   #5
hooman is offline hooman  Iran
diyAudio Member

for compete price brimar can use new technology for tubes product.
Old 15th July 2018, 07:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
I tend to buy from RS Components and most of their valves are from China and the prices are pretty good. Some of the valves are a bit microphonic but work OK.
I honestly don't care about price if these tubes perfrom better than chinese tubes im happy to pay double for something made in the UK
Old 15th July 2018, 07:08 AM   #7
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
They won't even be trying to compete on price. The name and origin will be the USP here.

I have my doubts that this will ever get off the ground. If Techtube failed -and they were actually making some tubes already- I can't see this working at all.

Last edited by Merlinb; 15th July 2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 16th July 2018, 09:12 AM   #8
Rod Coleman is offline Rod Coleman  United Kingdom
работник
diyAudio Member

There's more reason to be optimistic for Brimar - they have a hard-nosed attitude to (business and setup) cost-control. I have worked with them, in one of their minor branches, and they are good folks.

Support them with purchases of their carefully tested OEM valves (rebranded form far East factories), if you need some new production stocks: Brimar Tube Range - Brimar Thermionic Products - Official Site

About the Project: Great British Valve Project - Brimar Thermionic Products - Official Site
Old 16th July 2018, 10:02 AM   #9
kazap is offline kazap  Australia
diyAudio Member

If they can match the quality of Brimar NOS tubes there will be a market:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (138.5 KB, 247 views)
Old 17th July 2018, 02:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Coleman View Post
There's more reason to be optimistic for Brimar - they have a hard-nosed attitude to (business and setup) cost-control. I have worked with them, in one of their minor branches, and they are good folks.

Support them with purchases of their carefully tested OEM valves (rebranded form far East factories), if you need some new production stocks: Brimar Tube Range - Brimar Thermionic Products - Official Site

About the Project: Great British Valve Project - Brimar Thermionic Products - Official Site
Yes im optimistic and excited about it too. I hope the old engineers will be around long enough to pass their skills on to the next generation so we see high quality tubes once more. My only question is how they will make the cathodes? Will they import them from another plant like russia or china or will they be able to coat them themselves? This is the true key to a high quality tube. What the main issue we have had for a long time from Russian tubes is that the workers simply knew how to assemble the tubes and most of the engineers had long since left and there was no real quality control from an engineers standpoint. I think things have changed over there in recent years but there is still room for improvement. Either way these brimar tubes will be better than what we currently have available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazap View Post
If they can match the quality of Brimar NOS tubes there will be a market:
I am hoping they will be even better, something close to the original mullards would be nice. I always thought Brimar tubes were of high quality, but an old school TV tech tells me that in the day, Brimar tubes were always looked to as a cheaper, substandard tube of poor quality. This was news to me, but its way before my time. Either way, ive got NOS brimars and cant fault them. The new Brimar tubes will be closer construction to an original Mullard im expecting anyway. Remember its just a trademark they own, but at least this will have more going for it than a russian made telefunken or mullard. It really sickens me why they even bother using those old brands for marketing.

New Brimar valves made in the UK, coming soon...Hide this!Advertise here!