• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Croft 25 Basic Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,
I have a weird problem with my Croft 25 Basic preamp. It randomly produces a buzzing noise on the line stage that last a second maybe 2. When I switch to the phono input it produces the same noise followed by a loud bump. So far tested all the capacitors, but everything seems OK. Tried to change the valve on the line stage but the problem stays. Does anyone have any insight what it could cause this problem?

Thanks!!!

Hi there,
thanks for the reply. The noise is around 100 Hz and (if it helps) happens even with the volume pots at zero. The Croft 25 basic has only 3 valves: 2 for the phono stage and one for the line stage. I tried already to change the line stage valve (ECC83) with a brand new one but after few minutes the buzz happened again, so I ruled the valve out.

Thanks for the help I am very grateful

Hi guys, after testing all components my technician gave the preamp a clean bill of health. After hours of painful trial and error I reached the conclusion it's actually the electricity rings in the farmhouse that are at fault. I placed a linear transformer (in 230V out 230V) between the main plug and the Croft preamp and most problems seems to have been cured. Now I only get a soft buzzing sound (still around 100 Hz) maybe once a day. I was thinking maybe would be a good idea to place a filter either before or after the linear transformer. Do you have any suggestions for the filter (placement, type & cost), or maybe a unit with linear transformer and filter all in one that will not break my bank... I already spent all my hard earned money to purchase the Croft....

Thanks in advance!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.