Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2004, 03:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to confused
Default help finding a good amp project?

Hi guys new here,Can someone direct me to a really good high power tube amp project that is fairly cheap to build?somthing that is good with 4ohm loads and an a and b channel to run a total of 4 speakers at times.
thanks for the help in advance

Mike.
Old 18th April 2004, 09:17 AM   #2
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Try a 2 channel KT88 push pull (about 100W per channel). Use output transformers that have 4, 8 & 16 ohm taps.

If you need to use 4 speakers, you can wire two pairs of speakers in series and connect to the appropriate tap, eg two 8ohm speakers in series connected to the 16 ohm tap.
Old 18th April 2004, 02:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

alright that sounds good the kt88's are well priced too if i can rember correct?I didnt think they worked well at the higher power but cool that should get me started.Thanks

Mike.
Old 18th April 2004, 02:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A push pull pair of KT88s is good for 50- 60 W. For an amp in the 100-120 W. range, you need a quad of KT88s in parallel push pull. O/P transformers that handle the power in question are always costly.

BTW, wiring 2 pairs of speakers in series is not a good idea, unless the 2 pairs are "identical".
Old 19th April 2004, 04:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Great suggestions so is there somewhere I can go to find some good plans to build one of these?I cant wait to get the amp going bacause my new mtm diy 4ohm speakers are nearing completion and I will need a new amp to run em thanks again

Mike.
Old 19th April 2004, 07:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Mike,

Do you know what the impedance curve of your nominal 4 Ohm MTM speakers looks like? Speakers with significant dips in the impedance curve, particularly in the power hungry bass region, are poor candidates for mating with tube amps. If your MTMs were nominally 8 Ohms, connecting them to the 4 Ohm taps is way to deal with impedance dips.
Old 19th April 2004, 07:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

100W with KT88:
http://www.triodeel.com/gec100w.gif

400W with KT88:
http://www.triodeel.com/gec400w.gif

Good luck!

Hide this!Advertise here!