• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Flea power 6N6P PPP amp!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
True, but...

Since 8 ohm speakers are not actually a consistent or exact 8 ohm load across the audio band, I don't think there's an advantage to getting that exact about it. Some people say you should design for a 4 ohm load if using contemporary speakers rated at a nominal 8 ohms.

Generally speaking, a power triode loaded by a higher Z primary will yield slightly less power, slightly lower distortion, and slightly better damping to the load (all other things being equal) when compared to a lower Z load. Heard as a 'drier' sound (for higher Z primary) vs. a 'wetter' sound (lower Z primary). At least that's been my experience, when I was playing with a PP 2A3 into a 5k OPT that has 3k primary taps available. You can adjust to taste, to an extent.
--

I was wondering if it is possible to make PP (no third P) :) amplifier with a single 6n6p tube using 3k2:8 OTF (the one I have)?
Nope. It's much too low for a 6N6P. EL34 might work into that low of a load though.

5.5W: Flea power he says.... That thing will torch my speakers :)
Compared to a KT88 amp it's flea power :p

The class A limit is about 1W though.

OK Koda I'm in. I bought some of the same surplus toroids from A1parts.ca that you did. I take it you are using the 8.5 volt (green wires) for the secondary? Any thoughts on using the 14.9 volt secondary for feedback ala ARC or Quad. If the prices A1parts has on Hammond transformers are real they're way better that the usual suspect(s).

Bought some toroids from Antek recently. Their prices are OK but by the time you ship them, land them in Canada and pay the exchange, $50 US in transformers becomes $100 CDN. 25VA toroids Triads from Mouser are a better deal especially if buying enough to get free shipping. (I'm sure you know this, just informing other Canuks).

Cheers, Steve

Koda, what do you think of these?

Got digging around in my cupboard and came up with a pair of OPTs from a PP amp that was rated from 28W with 6L6GCs to 50W with KT150s. That's extremely optimistic from a transformer that weighs 4 lb. 8 oz. Essentially an EI OPT has a power rating more or less proportional to its weight. Correct me if I'm wrong. A Hammond 1608 rated for 10W weighs 3 lb. 4 oz. A Heathkit OPT for PP EL84 weighs 4 lbs.

So I'm thinking the 4 1/2 pounder in the picture is likely good for about 20 watts. Way more than needed for a PPP 6H6N but what the heck. 5000 ohm primary, secondary tapped at 5 and 8 ohms.

Worth a shot? Just sitting gathering dust otherwise.

Thanks, Steve

Attachments

• P1020627.jpg
    P1020627.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 212
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.