• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

KT150 pp amp operating points please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is going to be very easy :) 1% thd at 80watts possible 6H30 drivers or 6SN7 in cathode followers.

B+ anything from 400 to 700 I would say. Depends on the bias and transformer impedance.

The important is to get a 'smooth' transition to class AB and there are no math for this... Bias 70 to 125ma, with fix bias and a THD meter it should be easy to find this best ratio.

Ok, you need too have a low impedance power supply. 66ma is on the very low side, the tubes will operate most of the time in class AB which is alright providing they have enough power.

In class AB the tube can tolerate 250ma of current peak, make sure your power supply can provide at least 175mA per /600V side without (as little as possible) voltage drop in order to feed correctly on demand.

You will need good diodes to rectify this current, forget noisy tube rectifiers :) power diodes on heat-sinks.

A good power transformer would be 900vCT at 700ma + 8 Amperes for power tube heaters + small transformer for pre-amp tubes heaters.

Normally I use 45 mA each one. At 30 mA the performance are also good and the dissipation is very conservative

I check also 60 mA, 30 watt of dissipation each KT50 with a good results specially because it runs in full class A until 20w (little bit more)

Walter

I'm using KT120 in a textbook example of the Williamson. I use 560V B+, idle at 50ma, screens at 300V or so. I use 6A diodes for the rectifier, and about 2000uF in the supply. You might consider running in UL. You get less distortion, the same output power, and no need for the screen supply or the 25ma or so of extra current.

This is the best datasheet for the KT88 that I've seen. https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/084/k/KT88_GEC.pdf

One option is 600V plate and 290V to 300V screen with approximately a 5KΩ primary. Should deliver upwards of 75 watts at the speaker terminals if the power supply and output transformer are hefty enough.

i drew a load line and came pretty close to that load, thanks...

That's very tame for the KT150, es345 has shown that the "typical" Class AB1 output from a pair of KT150's is 150W~200W. May be you are aiming for Class A PP?

i want those tubes to last....anyway i do not have too faith about manufacturer's data so i would rather err on the side of caution...

Personally I like the pentode/tetrode connection, it is more interesting to play ( and a little bit difficult)

Walter

yes, Walter, i too have good experience with pentode mode of operation,
more authoritative dynamics, but of course this comes at the cost of a beefy power traffo and psu caps...

I'm using KT120 in a textbook example of the Williamson. I use 560V B+, idle at 50ma, screens at 300V or so. I use 6A diodes for the rectifier, and about 2000uF in the supply. You might consider running in UL. You get less distortion, the same output power, and no need for the screen supply or the 25ma or so of extra current.

This is the best datasheet for the KT88 that I've seen. https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/084/k/KT88_GEC.pdf

i will be using a big big power traffo, a hefty opt, and generous psu filtering..
and G2 will be mosfet regulated at around 250 volts...

The KT150 allow me to use >500 Vdc in safe way
It also is bigger as internal components and glass so the warm can be dissiapted better.
About the saound it is close to KT88
In my opinion

Walter

the octal sockets is limiting imho, arc over between pin3 and pin 2, i have seen it on an el34 with B+ of 440 volts...i guess that a shrink tube sleeve over pin 3 might help...

i want those tubes to last....anyway i do not have too faith about manufacturer's data so i would rather err on the side of caution...

if you design for a 1/2 power to cope for missing understandings of class AB and grid current ok maybe.

still keep in mind that the dissipation in AB1 is a lot higher than the bias point and you cannot control this without regulators and sensors of grid bias and current. If the power supply can give the power the tube will take all it can, if it is not wired or bias properly it will exceed the maximum parameters and cause premature failures. One very obvious premature cause of failure is drifting bias, parallel tubes, different sections/ types of tubes, uncontrolled class AB or B bias and grid power dissipation, shut down issues with bias, heaters shocks /under/over power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.