• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Question about RLa-a for *LW6 in triode connection?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, gabdx.

At first, up to 40ma, after about 1 minute within 5ma. After 15 minutes within 1ma, 1 hour = perfect. These tubes are not matched. I've just run them for 1 hour, while adjusting the bias (it's adjustable from the top of the amp) to keep things level. I've matched each pair well enough that they both come up slowly (80ma within 1 minute, 120ma after 15). I think it's the tubes vs the circuit. It doesn't help that they are only getting 35V, either (I used 36LW6... SHHH don't tell anyone :)).

I've used the auto bias boards, and while they work pretty well, they only check the bias once while at turn on. My experience tells me that after an hour, the current might be well off what it was set to. I've used VPT series transformers with 6P3S and EL34 with good performance. I've never had a magnetization issue, but they are mains transformers rated for 250VA (or 25VA. I've made 8 amps using these now)... I've had bad tubes arc over but the transformer was fine afterwards. If you live in Montréal, I am planning a visit soon. I could bring one of these amps...

Last edited:
Looks really good. With mains OT, theoretically you could only get the full 75W power above 65 Hz (assuming saturation at 240V rms 50Hz = 44W into 1300 ohms), and at 30Hz saturation would be at about 16W. How does it turn out in practice? Although if you run an SS amp with a subwoofer below 80Hz then it's academic only :)

To be honest, I've never tried it. Most of the time <1W is loud here. It will take Energy RC22 Reference to full excursion though. I have a 12x18 room with the speakers in the narrow end, Energy RC-70. It can drive it past the point of too loud in here.
I can tell you that low bass extension is great, too.

Koda

Last edited:
To be honest, I've never tried it. Most of the time <1W is loud here. It will take Energy RC22 Reference to full excursion though. I have a 12x18 foot room with the speakers in the narrow end, Energy RC-70. It can drive it past the point of too loud in here.

Koda
12x18 foot.

I should also mention I use the following biasing circuit.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 126

Koda

Low end frequency response is a function of primary inductance (higher is better) and source impedance (lower is better). With these mains toroidals inductance is quite high, and they are usually used with low Rp tubes so f3 can be very low.

Magnetic saturation is a function of the integral of a half cycle of the voltage waveform (the area under the curve). For a lower frequency (longer cycle time) than the frequency it was designed for, you need a lower voltage in order to keep the same area under the curve. So for half the frequency can only have half the voltage which leads to a quarter of the power.

Spreadsheet is attached which shows a few useful things when using mains toroidals as output transformers.

Attachments

• Mains transformer as output transformer.zip
    8.7 KB · Views: 49
Magnetic saturation is a function of the integral of a half cycle of the voltage waveform (the area under the curve). For a lower frequency (longer cycle time) than the frequency it was designed for, you need a lower voltage in order to keep the same area under the curve. So for half the frequency can only have half the voltage which leads to a quarter of the power.

Using half of load resistance leads to half the power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.