• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

D3A-300B Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is service life guarantee by the manufacturer.

The best linearity on benchmark for the driver does not guarantee the best linearity on the output, especially with the 300B, sometimes you must consider distortion cancellation, mostly for the third harmonic.

I am obtaining good results in simulations with more pedestrian valves like the ECC81/12AT7, belly curves seems to help more than exotic valves.

It would be nice to be able to use a plate (anode) choke on your driver triode, to make use of the choke's energy storage for brief bursts of voltage peaks. However that would mean the driver triode should have low rp (ra), so that the driver stage will have good low frequency response using a plate choke capable of >20mA standing current and with achievable inductance (50 to 60 H). That disqualifies ECC81/12AT7, even with two triodes paralleled (rp = >8k under real-world conditions).

That's where something like a triode-strapped small power pentode might be good. Perhaps a triode-wired 6P14P or 6P15P with a plate choke?

But will that yield enough input sensitivity for a 2-stage power amp? I don't think so.

That's when we get to Wavebourn's suggested 6J52P. Or 6S45P? (Both tend to be really microphonic, but maybe okay for a driver stage.)

If trying to fulfill popilin's suggestion, you'd need to find a triode with so-so linearity, high mu, and high gm. Hmmm... triode-wired 6JD6A? (Semi-remote-cutoff RF frame grid triode with 14mA/V gm -- https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/127/6/6JD6.pdf)

Oh well. I guess that's why there are so many 3-stage SE 300B amps, and why WE designed the original 300B amps with a pentode driver.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, they can work well.. I like ASC motor runs. In addition to the 100uF cathode bypass motor run you can add a 20uF film cap from the cathode cap (filament end) to the B+, this will provide some canceling of ripple on the power supply.

Don't confuse motor run and motor start caps, you want run caps.. The start caps are usually short lived electrolytics.

I am doing ultrapath with DC Link film capacitors. Not so expensive, and better IMHO than electrolytics such as Elna cerafine or Nichicon muse. I prefer them to the crazy expensive black gates too... ;)

To cancel any residual PSU ripple, CR couple power cathode to input/driver cathode (like original loftin-white circuit).

Ian

Last edited:
Is true that electrolytic Mundorf ECap 63V capacitors are so good that films in place bypass cathode ?

Attachments

• Mundorf_ECap_RAW-640.jpg
    Mundorf_ECap_RAW-640.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 278
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.