Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

D3A-300B Amplifier
D3A-300B Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2018, 04:10 PM   #61
santitrucco is offline santitrucco  Argentina
diyAudio Member

45 and you know how is his performance ?
Old 11th June 2018, 06:31 PM   #62
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

D3A-300B Amplifier
6Ж52П
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
Old 11th June 2018, 08:42 PM   #63
45 is offline 45  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santitrucco View Post
45 and you know how is his performance ?
Excellent.
The DR version has become quite expensive though but as a driver, run not too hot, the "e" version is just as good.
Old 12th June 2018, 03:31 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Ok , i will bought some tubes 6E6P E , maybe in the future could be some comparisons..
Old 12th June 2018, 10:02 PM   #65
pl802 is offline pl802  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Read here http://www.bartola.co.uk/valves/2012...thd-benchmark/
And here www.bartola.co.uk/valves/tag/6e5p/

Oh dear I see 45's done so already......my apologies

Last edited by pl802; 12th June 2018 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Didn't read thru whole thread
Old 12th June 2018, 11:54 PM   #66
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

D3A-300B Amplifier
Different tubes require different conditions for best performances. I would never compare 6J5P and 4P1L on the same current, voltage, and signal levels.
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
Old 13th June 2018, 03:28 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Is true that 6e5p is 500 hs duration?
Old 13th June 2018, 04:18 PM   #68
popilin is offline popilin  Argentina
diyAudio Member

That is service life guarantee by the manufacturer.

The best linearity on benchmark for the driver does not guarantee the best linearity on the output, especially with the 300B, sometimes you must consider distortion cancellation, mostly for the third harmonic.

I am obtaining good results in simulations with more pedestrian valves like the ECC81/12AT7, belly curves seems to help more than exotic valves.
Old 13th June 2018, 05:41 PM   #69
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

D3A-300B Amplifier
It would be nice to be able to use a plate (anode) choke on your driver triode, to make use of the choke's energy storage for brief bursts of voltage peaks. However that would mean the driver triode should have low rp (ra), so that the driver stage will have good low frequency response using a plate choke capable of >20mA standing current and with achievable inductance (50 to 60 H). That disqualifies ECC81/12AT7, even with two triodes paralleled (rp = >8k under real-world conditions).

That's where something like a triode-strapped small power pentode might be good. Perhaps a triode-wired 6P14P or 6P15P with a plate choke?

But will that yield enough input sensitivity for a 2-stage power amp? I don't think so.

That's when we get to Wavebourn's suggested 6J52P. Or 6S45P? (Both tend to be really microphonic, but maybe okay for a driver stage.)

If trying to fulfill popilin's suggestion, you'd need to find a triode with so-so linearity, high mu, and high gm. Hmmm... triode-wired 6JD6A? (Semi-remote-cutoff RF frame grid triode with 14mA/V gm -- https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/127/6/6JD6.pdf)

Oh well. I guess that's why there are so many 3-stage SE 300B amps, and why WE designed the original 300B amps with a pentode driver.
Old 13th June 2018, 07:18 PM   #70
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

D3A-300B Amplifier
Quote:
Originally Posted by santitrucco View Post
Is true that 6e5p is 500 hs duration?
It means, you can't sue the manufacturer if the tube failed after 500 hours.

D3A-300B AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!