• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Triad S-36A Output Transformer Application

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you want your brain liquefied with 40W RMS, go ahead :)

Those are typical 50´s and early 60´s OTs for school/church/shop PA systems, with distant mounted strings of small speakers or a couple PA horns, but extremely high price suggests Audiophile use, nobody else would pay that much for basically unusable OTs.

Only justification might be in direct driving Electrostatics, not my area really.

Hope buyer realizes no normal Hi Fi speakers can be used with them.

Wouldn´t be surprised if all he read is:
Pair of 2 Vintage Original New Old Stock Triad S-36A, 2A3 6L6 20W P.p. Tube Matched Output Transformers NIB.
which is all main text says.

It *should* make it clear in the same text, same letter size: "not directly usable with normal 4/8/16 ohm speakers" or "only output taps 125-250-500 ohm".

To boot, although some images show the 125/250/500 ohm taps, labels are not *that* readable and on the MAIN picture, transformers are sitting on a clearly readable image of a better transformer, with wider frequency response "7-50000 CPS" and normal 4-8-16 ohm taps.

I may be wrong, but I´m guessing a very disappointed impulsive buyer after opening the boxes.

Last edited:
on the MAIN picture, transformers are sitting on a clearly readable image of a better transformer, with wider frequency response "7-50000 CPS" and normal 4-8-16 ohm taps.

I may be wrong, but I´m guessing a very disappointed impulsive buyer after opening the boxes.

I was attracted to the auction precisely because of that photo and was disappointed when I read the description more closely. I just don't need a 20W preamp.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
I wonder if they may be a good fit for a parallel push-pull of 6080/6AS7 or PL519. To get 1K plate-to-plate primary impedence, the speaker should be 25 ohms (3 drivers in series - unpractical but possible). Primary winding should be able to withstand 200mA, far more than the 6L6 original application, and this may be a showstopper.
I have a nice vintage OT pair similar to this one and I haven't found a good way to use it. 5K plate-to-plate primary, and two identical independent 140 ohm secondary windings: therefore 70 ohms when connected in parallel, or 280 ohms in series.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.