• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hammond 1650k question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I buy for 10$ a new Hammond 1650k parallel push-pull output transformer and have the opportunity to get a second for 80$.

I found on the net a project using this transformer but the problem is i need to get 4 matched power tubes by channel.

I know 4 power tubes guitar amps can run with 2 power tubes installed but is this the same for hi-fi?

Best regards.

If you optimized the amp for 8 ohms speakers, you can change the secondary winding depended on the number of installed tubes. ie. 2 tubes hook 8 ohms speaker to 4 ohms tap, 4 tubes uses 8 ohm taps. This way each plates will see the same effective 3.4K loading regardless of the number of tubes installed.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A 3,400 Ohm load "can" be driven with two EL34.

Marshall got famous this way.

It is perhaps more a "guitar amp" condition than a hi-fi amp. But this may be as much about fashion as actual working. Two EL34 @ 3.4K @ 450V-500V "can" make far past 50 Watts at high THD. Use 400V, apply the usual NFB, bias to 70% Pdiss, it should make 40+ Watts very nicely. (Especially for 10 bucks.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.