• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How hot is "too Hot" for a transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
An amp being discussed today is Class A until about 4w per channel, then switches to AB as it continues to around 250w. I expect any amp that makes a switch like this, could consume a little more before the crossover, than it does immediately after.

Maybe? I dunno. Non contact thermometers are getting so cheap that everyone could have one now though.

Last edited:
Just for information, every 10 deg drop in temperature will approx. double the lifetime

This applies when temp > about 70C (very VERY hot to the touch), according to a chemist/materials guru I have at work. Below that the lifetime/temp is not as rapid.

(The 10degree/half-life rule of thumb is still used tho b/c of it's simplicity, gives an idea of heat/lifespan, and is still tought to military techs, u know the young, dumb, and full of guts&glory types)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.