• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6GH8-6CZ5 Tube Amp Project Round II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks to all for the help getting started on this project. I have learned alot since. Here are the final schematics that I used. I think I did it correctly. Please have a look. I am having voltage problems on one side of the driver board and I don't know why. The right side voltage after the 820K (screen grid) resistor on the driver board is 18v, the left side is 48v. I checked my tubes and all are good. I rechecked the output transformers and I got almost the same readings with 6.36v injected in to the 8 ohm tap = 184v and 185v. I also got the same reading from both the center tap inputs of the output transformers with 2.18v. I even built the other board I purchased at the same time and it did exactly the same thing. The 15K plate resistors on the right channel seem to be over heating. If it is not the driver board, and not the tubes, Can it be a bad output transformer? Thanks for taking a look. Pictures later tonight.

ps, I want to apologize to anyone that I offended in my first post on this site. To my defense, I was hooked on and coming off a drug called Cymbalta. Cymbalta is a medication mostly used for major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, fibromyalgia and neuropathic pain. I broke my back in 1999 and worked until 2012 when I had 2 back surgeries. I was given Cymbalta for neuropathic pain many years ago and was taking 60mg a day. I was going through what they call Discontinuation Syndrome or SSRI discontinuation syndrome During marketing of other SSRIs and SNRIs, there have been spontaneous reports of adverse events occurring upon discontinuation of these drugs, particularly when abrupt, including the following: dysphoric mood, irritability, agitation, dizziness, sensory disturbances (e.g., paresthesias such as brain zap electric shock sensations), anxiety, confusion, headache, lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia, hypomania, tinnitus, and seizures. The withdrawal syndrome from duloxetine resembles the SSRI discontinuation syndrome. Anyways, I was messed up and I am back to my happy self for the first time in years.

Attachments

• Build-Schematic-Knight KA-55-Stereo 40.jpg
    Build-Schematic-Knight KA-55-Stereo 40.jpg
    568.4 KB · Views: 169
  • PC-3-6gh8.jpg
    PC-3-6gh8.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 162
  • PC-3-6gh8A.jpg
    PC-3-6gh8A.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Wow, sorry to hear about your medical issues. I am starting to get along in years and i am having small physical ailments that crop up and just don't go away like they used to. But, we must carry on. Again, i am glad that you are back to feeling good again.
Now, about your amp; Output transformers when they test good are rarely an issue. Since you are customizing a circuit you should double and triple check your work and your circuit board to make sure that there is not a broken trace or a short across some trace. good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.