Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Intriguing measures on tube amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2018, 04:53 PM   #11
dady is offline dady  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to dady Intriguing measures on tube amp
There are some questions not answered with normal rules of thinking, there are more elements in play that we can not precise yet. have your read the article Do your ears deceive you_.pdf - Google Drive
Old 15th April 2018, 04:57 PM   #12
jama is online now jama  Spain
diyAudio Member

Ok. Thanks a lot. I will do it..
Old 15th April 2018, 05:29 PM   #13
traderbam is offline traderbam  Europe
diyAudio Member

Jama, you are an electrical engineer. You are questioning why your observation of harmonic distortion does not correlate with your observation of the sound quality. This is truth.
Now you have to think very very hard about the possible reasons for this.
Thinking is highly limited by making assumptions.
Avoid inheriting assumptions that will lead you to the same bad conclusions as other people.
Old 15th April 2018, 05:35 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

You are right. I will do it. Thanks for remember it.
Old 15th April 2018, 06:50 PM   #15
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

It has been known for around 60 years that some people prefer sound with a little low order distortion added. This is probably because low order distortion adds sounds which are harmonically related to the original sound (and so musically acceptable), and the accompanying intermodulation (which is not harmonically related) may be at a sufficiently low level not to create a problem.
Old 15th April 2018, 07:45 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Then this article can be a solution to the mistery... I have read it and really is fascinating and amazing. And following scientific method...
Do your ears deceive you_.pdf - Google Drive
So, our ears are the key factor in the equation...
Old 15th April 2018, 07:45 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot, guys
Best
Old 15th April 2018, 07:52 PM   #18
pcan is offline pcan  Italy
diyAudio Member

One of my tube amplifiers has a single ended ultralinear 6L6 as output stage with two identical 6SN7 triode stages as voltage amplification. No global feedback, output transformers not of the best quality, very high harmonic distortion, to the point that I would not even call it a true "Hi-Fi" amplifier, its more like a guitar amplifier. When I play certain recordings of string instruments, I distinctly like it more than other amplifiers. I guess that the added distortion is blending with the recorded harmonics to create a sound that I subjectively like more than the faithful reproduction. It may be that the sound engineer made a bad choice at the recording studio and the amplifier is adding artificial harmonics to replace the real ones lost in the recording, or that my personal idea of this instrument sound is flawed by the way I hear it at live events. The confirmation that the measures are telling the truth and my preference for this amplifier is purely subjective, the same amplifier does reproduce badly other instruments such as the lower registers of the organ. When I hear an amplifier or speaker that consistently sounds well, irrespective of the kind of music, there is a strong correlation with good electrical measures.
Old 15th April 2018, 08:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Well, then the problem has not easy solution. If our ears has a lot of imperfections (some days I feel all audio chain sound very bad, and others the opposite), adding recordings done irregularly, what must be our criterion to select our audio chain?. Use differents amps, one for each day, or state of mind?. I think this is psycho-acoustic and this is far away of my knowledge. As you say, if measure well, then probably will sound well (but in my case, elekit tu8600, with all its imperfections, sound great for my ears and J2 too, of course)
Old 15th April 2018, 09:13 PM   #20
traderbam is offline traderbam  Europe
diyAudio Member

Inheriting assumptions leads to...
1. If the measurement doesn't correlate with the sound, the measurement is ok and my auditory system is faulty or inconsistent.
2. If the measurement is worse when the sound is better then my auditory system favours less accurate sound.

These conclusions are utter bollocks but keep turning up like bad pennies.

Intriguing measures on tube ampHide this!Advertise here!