Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Found schematic 50W EL34 AB. Needs help...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2018, 11:52 AM   #1
CaterpilarSK is offline CaterpilarSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Default Found schematic 50W EL34 AB. Needs help...

Hello. I found a shematic on the internet which looks promising in terms of functionality. I havent played arround with tube amps before. Only experinmenting pream stages.
I wanted to make a 50W tube Amp. Since i found this schematic and i wanted something powerfull this looked like a decent choice. I have also found a schematic for a 100W one but that would be a bit too much .
I want to make this happen. I dont know what output transformer i have to buy since there is nothing specified there.
If anyone knows that this will be 100% functional then please tell me and any kind of improvements are welcome. I want to use the amplifier as a general purpose amplifier. Music and stuff. Not for guitars.
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 50WEL34.gif (7.2 KB, 222 views)
Old 15th April 2018, 12:02 PM   #2
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

It looks more suitable for a guitar amp, you might be well served to search this forum for much better designs.
Old 15th April 2018, 12:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Could you please redirect me to one? Im thinking of a 50W amp. If possible using EL34 since i have those on hand.
Thanks.
Old 15th April 2018, 12:47 PM   #4
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

To get 50W from a pair of EL34 you need to run fixed bias. You can make 40W in AB using cathode bias.

I've drawn a schematic of the latter.

Here's the datasheet. https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/129/e/EL34.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: png 6F12P-EL34-class-AB-Pentode.png (55.3 KB, 212 views)
Old 15th April 2018, 01:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Wow that looks simple . Will this need a pream stage? Like using something as a 12AX7 or the 6F12P pentode does everything? Is there a possible alternative to use a 12AX? Also i cant tell the difference betwee fixed bias and cathode bias could you please explain?
Thanks.
Old 15th April 2018, 02:07 PM   #6
petertub is offline petertub  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaterpilarSK View Post
Hello. I found a shematic on the internet which looks promising in terms of functionality. <snip>
Even if this schematic uses fixed bias it will not get 50w output power with any output transformer.
You will have to get B+ > 500V if you want 50w from a pair of el34 and that will be tough on the tubes.

I'd start at the other end ; find output transformers and then a suitable schematic for those transformers. The general advise is to build as simple as possible, few stages and no frills.
Cathode bias is generally less demanding although you will loose some power, something you probably don't notice, usually 25w is achieved useing EL34 and cathode bias. The lower power also makes choice of transformers easier and cheaper.
Old 15th April 2018, 02:50 PM   #7
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaterpilarSK View Post
Wow that looks simple . Will this need a pream stage? Like using something as a 12AX7 or the 6F12P pentode does everything? Is there a possible alternative to use a 12AX? Also i cant tell the difference betwee fixed bias and cathode bias could you please explain?
Thanks.

You should be able to get full power with about 1V input.
Old 15th April 2018, 02:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petertub View Post
Even if this schematic uses fixed bias it will not get 50w output power with any output transformer. You will have to get B+ > 500V if you want 50w from a pair of el34 and
that will be tough on the tubes.

I'd start at the other end ; find output transformers and then a suitable schematic for those transformers. The general advise is to build as simple as possible, few stages and no frills.
Cathode bias is generally less demanding although you will loose some power, something you probably don't notice, usually 25w is achieved useing EL34 and cathode bias. The lower power also makes choice of transformers easier and cheaper.
Looking at the datasheet its quite clear that i wont get 50W but 45 is good enough I wont tweak the thing to absolute max ratings because i dont want my room to become a RTG scanning room and neither lit red by the plates lol.
Old 15th April 2018, 03:06 PM   #9
Kokanee is offline Kokanee  Mexico
diyAudio Member

@ CaterpilarSK,

The EL-84 Baby Huey (gingertube) thread in the Tube forum has a lot of build info and schematics. Maybe helpful

Cheers
Old 15th April 2018, 03:32 PM   #10
audiowize is offline audiowize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
You don't need to run the EL34s that hard to get 50 watts, but rather you need to implement fixed bias in a class AB amp that's a bit more on the B side.

Found schematic 50W EL34 AB. Needs help...Hide this!Advertise here!