• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

driver with gyrator and source follower for GM70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The right way to go.
I use similar solution to drive GK-71

Attachments

• driver_boards.jpg
    driver_boards.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 396

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...It is very hard to buy pair of 6sf5gt.

6SF5 (6SF5GT, 6F5{G} w/top-cap) is half of a 12AX7 for most practical purpose. (Or rather: 12AX7 is two improved 6F5/6SF5 in one bottle.)

I forget what the Russian "12AX7" is called, but everybody has a hi-Mu triode, usually twin.

What do your guitar-amps use? That will work (with obviously different socket connections).

Attachments

• 6SF5-12AX7.gif
    6SF5-12AX7.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Something I can buy easily. It is very hard to buy pair of 6sf5gt.

Wojtek

For example:
6C45Pi, 2a3, 6s4s, 2s4s, 6s2s, 6s5s
Wojtek
I think that If you take the time to search around you will find what you need. There are plenty of examples using the russian valves you mentioned.

If you want western types, you should also consider D3a, 12HL7, amongst other valves which can swing 200Vpp at low distortion.

Have a look here for some examples: http://www.bartola.co.uk/valves/2018/04/01/driving-hard-part-i/#more-7330

Cheers
Ale

Something I can buy easily. It is very hard to buy pair of 6sf5gt.

Wojtek

Not at all. I bought the valve Ale describes , actually 16 RCA's with old logo in mint New-In-Box conditions, here: Electronic Tube and Valve Product Details

The price has gone up a little bit recently but still a bargain! 2x 6SF5 are cheaper than a chinese 12AX7....

Or rather: 12AX7 is two improved 6F5/6SF5 in one bottle

I disagree. The linearity of the 6SF5 is equal or better and it's more consistent. To find a 12AX7 where both triodes are as linear and matched as a matched pair of 6SF5's you need to discard lot of tubes....including some expensive old stuff!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.