Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

SE SV-811-10 power supply
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2018, 08:19 AM   #51
psherriffs is offline psherriffs  Philippines
diyAudio Member

A question to everyone- some time ago I built a pair of push-pull amps based on the SV572-10. About 80 watts. They sounded great, and looked nice, but I could never get more than a few hundred hours from the tubes. I got a response from Svetlana (can't remember who) that said they were having issues with gassy tubes. Did they ever go back into production? Were the problems resolved?
Old 21st April 2018, 03:52 PM   #52
audiowize is offline audiowize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
No, the SV572-10 was basically junked because they never lasted that long.

As far as the DC supply for the 811s goes, plan to put a very low value resistor between the + output of the rectifier bridge and your filter cap. I use very efficient, high power schottky diodes and about 0.04R of resistance between the output and cap in my amps to drop the voltage to 6V. This isn't the easiest thing to model, so do some bread boarding to see what you need. Having a little resistance in this position will reduce the stress on your heater winding a bit.

Last edited by audiowize; 21st April 2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 21st April 2018, 05:55 PM   #53
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psherriffs View Post
..... got a response from Svetlana (can't remember who) that said they were having issues with gassy tubes. Did they ever go back into production? Were the problems resolved?
The 572 family of Ryazan tubes have the gettering imbedded in the carbon plate. They're made to run with color in the plates, otherwise the gettering doesn't work properly.

I have a triplet of the ceramic base 811A that can still do better than 500 watts at 28 MHz at about twenty years in service. They're getting a little soft, but I've got my money's worth out of them.

Win W5JAG

Last edited by w5jag; 21st April 2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 23rd April 2018, 01:59 AM   #54
Lewis1 is offline Lewis1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default beyond the power supply

Just a general question:
In the Vacuum Tube Valley schematic (SV811/SV572 SE1), Eric Barbour uses 4 33k resistors in parallel to get to 8.25k.
In the second Glass Audio schematic attached here, he uses 4 12k resistors in parallel/series to get to (I think) 12k.
I'm sure there is a good reason for the multiples, but what is it? Is it just a power handling consideration? But even if that's the point, couldn't I just use a single 5W or 10W of the appropriate value?
Lewis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sv811_2.jpg (170.6 KB, 68 views)
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:32 AM   #55
jdg123 is offline jdg123  United States
diyAudio Member

Some well respected designers have asserted that paralleled resistors sound better... but in this case Iím pretty sure it was a cost saving measure. The design was intended for a budget minded builder. And too, the number is sometimes hard to hit with a single piece.
Old 25th April 2018, 03:18 AM   #56
Lewis1 is offline Lewis1  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, I'm learning that it is difficult to get the voltages you want if the transformer specs are to far off. My 315-0-315 transformer puts out too much voltage with a bridge (I've learned that some capacitors smell like popcorn when they pop!). And I think it will be too low if I use a full-wave tube rectifier. Back to looking at power transformers for this project.

Last edited by Lewis1; 25th April 2018 at 03:24 AM.
Old 25th April 2018, 04:35 AM   #57
audiowize is offline audiowize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
Do you have the supply loaded while you're testing it? If you power things up without a load, the B+ will be too high. It shouldn't be so high that your caps fail though, that's an indicator to use higher rated caps.

SE SV-811-10 power supplyHide this!Advertise here!