Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

First timer on a very low budget. I just want to build something, is this kit ok?
First timer on a very low budget. I just want to build something, is this kit ok?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2018, 04:58 PM   #1
Pygmy is online now Pygmy  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default First timer on a very low budget. I just want to build something, is this kit ok?

Is this cheapest-of-the-cheap kit okayish for the money, or is it just throwing money away?

6P3P Tube Amplifier DIY Amplifier Class A Single-end Tube Amplifier Kit Sale - Banggood Mobile
Old 25th February 2018, 05:28 PM   #2
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

6p3p tube amplifier kit
Old 25th February 2018, 06:54 PM   #3
rotaspec is offline rotaspec  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

The product is not bad. I built one like that a while ago. Just make sure they supply a power transformer to suit your mains supply voltage (220v ?)

However, you need to be able to read and understand a schematic diagram, and identify components visually, as the only assembly instruction is a schematic on a piece of paper.
For a first timer with no experience, you will need someone knowledgable to help.

Put together right, it actually sounds not bad, and the output transformers are good enough to be the basis for something better.
Old 25th February 2018, 07:24 PM   #4
audiowize is offline audiowize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
You should be able to get 2-3W out of that. The power transformer will likely self destruct if your line voltage is much over 220V.
Old 25th February 2018, 07:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

All right, having read up on the dangers involved in HV tube amp kits like these I think it's wise to leave this be for now.

I mean, I've assembled some speakers and repaired some stuff before, but none of that was as really dangerous.
What worries me is that a site like Banggood sells this kit like it's a model car kit, for any inexperienced person like me to try.. without warning that any single mistake during building this can cost me my life.

Last edited by Pygmy; 25th February 2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 25th February 2018, 08:49 PM   #6
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmy View Post
What worries me is that a site like Banggood sells this kit like it's a model car kit,
for any inexperienced person like me to try.. without warning that any single
mistake during building this can cost me my life.
In all fairness, most tube amps would be similar in risks. Dynaco sold huge numbers
of tube amps and preamps, apparently with few such problems. But, some people are
more careful then others. A good assembly manual, apparently lacking in this case, is
essential for beginners. Look at this one as an example of a reasonably good manual.
http://www.thehistoryofrecording.com...nakit_ST70.pdf

Last edited by rayma; 25th February 2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 27th February 2018, 03:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

So what would be a good "budget" / starter kit for someone like me who's got soldering and assembly skills, but lacks in depth electronic skills?
Old 27th February 2018, 04:06 PM   #8
reaper996 is offline reaper996  United States
diyAudio Member

Something like this, Amp Kit - Stereo Integrated Tube Amplifier | Antique Electronic Supply
Old 27th February 2018, 04:09 PM   #9
colnago55 is offline colnago55  United States
diyAudio Member

You might take a look at the Tubelab SSE amp.

Tubelab SSE Board | Tubelab

good luck
Old 27th February 2018, 04:24 PM   #10
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Depending on your budget, I would recommend anything by tubelab. You will have to gather some parts yourself but you will have a full community around to help you through every step of the process.

First timer on a very low budget. I just want to build something, is this kit ok?Hide this!Advertise here!