• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

rectifier tube question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I have a question about rectifier tubes and I would appreciate if anyone could answer or point me to an answer. In a 5Z3 or a GZ32 there are four pins- two heater and two for the rectifier. In a GZ34, there are five pins- the 'extra' pin #1 is just listed as "internally connected". Internally connected to what? Not the heater (at least it doesn't look that way on the pinout).
Also, pin 8 is listed as the filament and cathode. Does that mean if I connect to DC heating, I should pin 8 as cathode, pin 2 as anode?
The reason I ask (on top of just being ignorant) is that someone gave me a couple of GZ34's and I was going to try them in my amp (currently using 5Z3PA). I do recognize that they have different heater requirements (GZ34 uses less) and that I need to be aware of the differences in voltage drop.
thanks for any info, comments.

Jason

Internal connections can be anything and typically shouldn't be used. They might be unconnected, maybe the getter is hanging off it, it might be a shield, or even connected to some other pin - if in doubt, leave it open. If the EIA says that pin is "IC" then the manufacturer can make it pretty much anything they wish.

On all the rectifiers I know of with such basing, it is unconnected. Think of it as a visual "key" for how to insert it. ;)

Tim

In 1/2 indirectly heated tubes, like the GZ34 (5AR4) and the GZ32 (5V4), the cathode sleeve, along with 1 end of the heater, is connected to pin 8. That's why you take the B+ from pin 8.

Some versions of the GZ34/5AR4 have a metal collar on the base. I would think that that collar is connected to pin1 for grounding purposes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.