Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Edcor PP 60w OPT
Edcor PP 60w OPT
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2018, 09:26 PM   #21
Tubelab_com is online now Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
PP amp designed for hard rock/metal but that doesn't seem to be a very common design consideration for most tube amps out there
A well designed P-P amp should work with everything from mellow to metal, although many never see such use. The bass in some rock music requires a hefty OPT, while the transients of say Terry Bozzio's drums require a well designed amp and an OPT capable of good high frequency response.

All of my amps get tested with a wide variety of music. Everything from Norah Jones to Metallica to Depeche Mode, then I plug my guitar preamp in, set it on "Jimi" dial the volume up to 11 and beat on it for a while. That will find the weak spots.

I am in the process of developing a KT88 amp thet will make about 70 WPC in triode mode. Other builders can use the same driver board design for everything from a pair of 300B's to a quad of TV sweep tubes (good for LOUD rock). My end goal is a 500 WPC stereo tube amp. It will likely use this driver board. It's still in the early stages, but check this thread out to see if it interests you:

Tubelab Universal Driver Board, 2015 version

Another possibility is Pete Millett's Engineers Amp. It masquerades as a mild mannered 18 WPC amp, but can be hot rodded easilly into the 50 to 125 WPC range. I published the recipe for a 125 WPC version and at least a dozen builders made one....I built 3. Rock? yes it does......really loud, feet from the stage at a Metallica show kinda loud.....except without the pyro (Load tour).

The 125 WPC mods are buried somewhere in this long thread:

Posted new P-P power amp design
Old 24th February 2018, 10:49 PM   #22
thedecline is offline thedecline  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
A well designed P-P amp should work with everything from mellow to metal, although many never see such use. The bass in some rock music requires a hefty OPT, while the transients of say Terry Bozzio's drums require a well designed amp and an OPT capable of good high frequency response.

All of my amps get tested with a wide variety of music. Everything from Norah Jones to Metallica to Depeche Mode, then I plug my guitar preamp in, set it on "Jimi" dial the volume up to 11 and beat on it for a while. That will find the weak spots.

I am in the process of developing a KT88 amp thet will make about 70 WPC in triode mode. Other builders can use the same driver board design for everything from a pair of 300B's to a quad of TV sweep tubes (good for LOUD rock). My end goal is a 500 WPC stereo tube amp. It will likely use this driver board. It's still in the early stages, but check this thread out to see if it interests you:

Tubelab Universal Driver Board, 2015 version

Another possibility is Pete Millett's Engineers Amp. It masquerades as a mild mannered 18 WPC amp, but can be hot rodded easilly into the 50 to 125 WPC range. I published the recipe for a 125 WPC version and at least a dozen builders made one....I built 3. Rock? yes it does......really loud, feet from the stage at a Metallica show kinda loud.....except without the pyro (Load tour).

The 125 WPC mods are buried somewhere in this long thread:

Posted new P-P power amp design
I did read through that thread while searching for answers. The universality of that board scares me a bit when it comes to adapting it to fit my specific needs. Lots of flexibility = lots of room for error from someone without enough knowledge such as myself. As much as I appreciate you and Pete's efforts for the DIY community, I might need a bit more hand holding for now compared to many others here.

I don't need much power. I live in a small condo; 500WPC would have the condo board back charging me for structural damage. I just need a clean schematic to follow.
Old 8th March 2018, 08:52 AM   #23
Gungnir is offline Gungnir  United States
diyAudio Member

I think I have made up my mind; since I have most of the parts that I need already, I think I am going to go use the W5m schematic with KT66. It may be a few months before I can get started on it though since I have a few other projects that I am working on.

Edcor PP 60w OPTHide this!Advertise here!