• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anzai SRPP line, phono and EQ tube preamplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I did make that change 30 years ago . I think i kept the same cathode resistors maybe i did change the resistors from half watt to one watt. There will be more current but if the resistor gets to warm you can always change it.
As far as i remember ( dont have the Anzai SRPP anymore) i only changed the resistors in the phonstage into Shinkoh tantal.
You can just pull out the tube and put the E80cc inside IF the heater supply can give double the current.
Greetings, eduard

A nice upgrade is to change the final tube into a E80cc. It has lower gain but also lower output impedance.

E80CC has higher plate resistance and higher gain than ECC82, in simulations also shows higher odd harmonics than the "cinderella" ECC82.

Output impedance is about 2K4 with ECC82, and about 4K8 with E80CC.

With respect to resistors, I found that cheap carbon-film resistors sound far better, do not know why.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
A big difference will be choke input with Lundahl choke connected in what they call common mode connection. The higher the Henry the better.
The people in france did suggest me to use higher voltage than the original one.
Anyhow the E80cc sounds better than the ecc82 i used it for about 10 years.
I never tried the russian caps in the Anzai because at that time still cold war going on.
I used the K75-10 in other gear. If you can find 400 volts ones. Other ones that are surely nice is Philips paper( in oil?) caps.
Greetings, eduard

E80CC has higher plate resistance and higher gain than ECC82, in simulations also shows higher odd harmonics than the "cinderella" ECC82.

Output impedance is about 2K4 with ECC82, and about 4K8 with E80CC.

With respect to resistors, I found that cheap carbon-film resistors sound far better, do not know why.
Right, I shall make a simulation in anny case.
Kiwame 2W resistors are the best....for the ears.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Right, I shall make a simulation in anny case.
Kiwame 2W resistors are the best....for the ears.

Hello,
If you simulate you will hear what you did simulate.
The pin out of the tubes e83cc, ecc82, e80cc is the same. Only the E80cc has double heater current.
I likle the shinkoh, the audio note, The be yamamura are only very nice but cannot be found anymore in popular values.
If the resistors get HOT i like the Mills wirewound.
I would not change all the resistors at the same time if you are not sure about what to expect.
Do you have E80cc tubes?
Greetings, eduard

I was myself concerned about this but never have a problem (last 30 years) since i use that kind of pre. In theory the higering the potential of the heaters can cure that danger....seams that it works. Care must be taken with the ECC81 but I can't say as I use 83+83+82
Yes SRPP is a nice configuration as well as less sophysticated.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Which choke are you using for the choke input? I have tried a few. Even the tango made for choke input but so far the best were the Lundahl connected in what they call common mode connection. You can get a lot of Henries because the current is low. Always use a bleeder resistor because if your tubes are not heated there will be no current drawn by the them. The higher the Henry the less current you need to bleed. I have tried several in my tube line stage. Because this one has a shunt power supply current being drawn is higher than with your preamp. So had to use a 110 mA choke but still can get 41 henry. If 80 mA is enough for you you can probably get more than 50 henry.
I also did use a bigger power transformer in my SRPP. I bought the one that was used for the 300B monoblock in Paris. Most of the imoprovenments i made in the eighties were ideas from the '' La maison de l'audiophile '' shop in paris.
A nice one was adding a paper in oil capacitor to the high voltage power supply close to the circuit.
Greetings, eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
40 Henry is a nice value. The quality of the choke used for choke input is important. I did use several ones. Old General electric from army surplus, two custom made here in my country, then Tango 20 Henry especially made for choke input, then a Lundahl 41 Henry 110 mA. That one has two coils so can use one coil at each '' side '' of the power supply.
I wouldnt go for dual supply. Better get more Henry for the input choke or make it a LCLC power supply.
I am using Allen wright shunt power supplies and he always told me to get the biggest choke you can get. The choke should be bigger than the power transformer is what he said.
Did you every try choke input for the heater supply? Works very well even if you use a regulator. Of course that choke needs to be able to take a lot of current if you will use two ecc83 and two e80cc.
Can you post a schematic of your power supply?
Usually you dont need a lot of µF when you are using big chokes.
A pity chokes are heavy otherwise i could send you one to try.
Greetings, eduard

You are perfectly righ....but I have learned too not to exagerate. Listen, compare, decide. Then, more than components and values, I found 80% more important the project, the ideea of schematics used. Several times I had experienced that thing. Let say, after my first srpp I tried AN pasive RIAA as well as EAR active RIAA. I stay with my beloved SRPP
Ater some cosmetics to the capacitors which I have to do first, I shall trie KIWAME carbon resistors.....

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
What are you using for C3? Maybe here a nice paper in oil would be nice. Or you could try the Siemens mkv. Maybe i have some.
Take care with the kiwame it could change the preamp completely. You could start with changing the two 1Kohm belonging to one tube. If it is an improvement you could chasnge some more.
Some people like Allen bradley but they say they can be noisy.
I tried several caps, lots of the '' plastic '' audiophile ones. The best so far were Philips bought VERY cheap at a surplus store.
Greetings, Eduard

AS I told you, the concept is more important than parts... You can imagine 30 years ago we were behind the iron cortin/cold war or what ever it was.... dealing with components recuperated from broken radios or made in our country by stupid standards and the things sonded and still sound as heaven ( not to tel you I am a contant listener of live classic music so I can have an ideea) In anny case the reality can't be beeted by our small devices. All is a "nice" ilusion

PS C3 is a Tecas MKS from that era as well as the coupling cops. there were no mundorfs at that time but I like the sound/hoppe to improove it.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
i have used the Anzai srpp, the original one from france for about 10 years. It is a nice design i think but the quality of the parts has a big influence.
I just bought a phonostage made by audiomagic here in my country. He told me about 80 % of the circuit is the power supply.
resistors used are a mix of Allen bradley and audionote tantal. Caps are Jensen paper caps.
Greetings, eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The phonostage cannot be published because he did design it himself. You can only look at the audiomagic website and find some ideas.
It has a fet pre pre inside. But i also have an Ikeda mc transformer but the phono stage still at his house because right now i am busy arranging a new turntable.
I dont know the Tecas caps. I tried a lot of caps in the power supply too. I prefer Siemens MKV.
Greetings, eduard

I also found that omitting the lower cathode bypass resistor will result in lower distortion for the price of less gain (cca 24 dB for E88CC). This topology has a real S-curve like output vs. input transfer function with the inflexion point at zero voltage. This means the distortion will diminish as the input signal becomes very low. It follows the natural behavior of human ear. The only disadvantage is the low PSRR, it needs a good filtered power supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.