• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

insulating valves

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it ok to insulate valves to keep heat away from other components?

If so, what is best to use?

The valve in question is 6J1 variety, and it will be mounted horizontally below a pcb - I am looking at ways to keep heat away from the components on the pcb above.

It's not really a good idea. A year or two ago, I worked on a very high dollar ($4000-5000) tube preamp that had these custom tube shields machined for it that went around all the tubes. The 5687s it used were run a little beyond their limits, and with these tight tube shields, the plates of the 5687s looked like they were peeling after a bit of moderate use.

If you want to mount a tube in the manner you describe, just put some holes above it on the PC board. Another thing to consider is how much heat the 6J1 will put out in the first place. The datasheet that I see doesn't really make a ton of sense, but are we looking at about 2W plate dissipation and 1/2W of heater? If so, you're not talking about much heat really.

Is it ok to insulate valves to keep heat away from other components?

If so, what is best to use?

The valve in question is 6J1 variety, and it will be mounted horizontally below a pcb - I am looking at ways to keep heat away from the components on the pcb above.
Insulation won't help, the tube and it's insulation will be hotter. Reason is that the power injected is still injected and only increases the temperature. You must fins a way to remove heat from the tube , or locate the tube in a way that it does not heat sensitive components. The total power from a 6j1 is about 2.5w, thus it won't be any danger even if mounted below a circuit board ( as you suggested). Just don't shield it !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.