Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Need help with MBLE full stereo 4-4 plus
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2018, 02:18 PM   #1
Sceptic Hall is offline Sceptic Hall  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Need help with MBLE full stereo 4-4 plus

Hello, seeking info I stranded here on this forum. Apologize for my senses because my language is Dutch.
I hope someone can help me with my problem, I got a MBLE Full Stereo Amplifier 4 - 4 plus and I cleaned it. Removed dust, cleaned contacts end repaired the selector indicator. It works but not as it supposed to do. When it plays at a low volume the left side is much louder. When the volume goes up the balance need to correct to the center. Who knows whats wrong with it.

Peter

Last edited by Sceptic Hall; 15th February 2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 14th February 2018, 02:23 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to diyAudio Peter

If the left/right balance shifts with volume setting (and is basically normal at higher levels) then the problem may be nothing more than the two gangs of the volume control being poorly matched (a common issue). The only fix for that is replacement.

If the balance is consistently one sided throughout the whole volume range then more detailed investigation is needed as that would suggest a gain imbalance somewhere.
Old 14th February 2018, 02:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank You for the reply. Ok it's the first option. But what do You mean by replacement. What do I replace? Potentiometer?
Old 14th February 2018, 03:02 PM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, the dual gang volume control (potentiometer) would be the most likely suspect and needs to be replaced. For audio we normally use a 'log' or logarithmic control rather than a linear type.

You might find some useful information here:
Potentiometers (Beginners' Guide to Pots)
Old 14th February 2018, 03:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

ok, thank You.
Old 14th February 2018, 04:41 PM   #6
Alan4411 is offline Alan4411  Wales
diyAudio Member

If you have not already tried, swap the valves over from side to side.
Try the ECC83s (shortest valves) first. Then the two EL84s. See if that changes anything. (The EZ81 will be fine.)

Have a look to see if any wires have come loose, especially the feedback wire from the output transformers. And round the volume / balance controls. You could try squirting a little switch cleaner into the pots as well.

I assume you have tested all the inputs and the fault is the same on all of them?
Old 14th February 2018, 04:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hello Alan4411, I will try your options and let you know.
Old 14th February 2018, 08:18 PM   #8
audiowize is offline audiowize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
Can you post up the schematic here (I don't have an account to download it). If the above suggestions don't work out, you will likely need to take some basic DC voltage measurements in each channel.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello Audiowise here are schematics.
Old 20th February 2018, 08:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ok problem solved. Replace volume and balance potmeter. Thanks everyone.

Need help with MBLE full stereo 4-4 plusHide this!Advertise here!