Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

transformer based phase splitter
transformer based phase splitter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2018, 04:30 PM   #21
SemperFi is offline SemperFi  Wake Island
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
SemperFi, on the XSM.

Which transformer are you using, 10K:10K?

Since they are line matching transformers, they are not designed to handle dc in the primary. Do you run the parafeed input?

10k:10k, 15k:10k, and 10k:600.
So not to mislead anybody, I use them PP-PP usually with 6922 in LTP config. I have used one SE-SE but only b/c one of the primary windings opened up after me manhandling it too hard. That was in a guitar amp and only 1mA.
Ive used them with trioded 6V6s to drive 6L6s in bass guitar amps.
I like them but probably b/c I dont know what Im missing since Ive never tried any high end ones. For the price they are hard to beat.
Old 13th February 2018, 04:33 PM   #22
pieter t is offline pieter t  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Duttman View Post
As previously stated, Lynn Olson did work along these lines. Look here. Lynn too warns of the very difficult load this sort of circuitry presents to the driving electronics. Use a big, honking, MOSFET source follower running at about 30 mA. of drain current ahead of the phase splitting trafo.
You talked about Lynn Olsen using differential amps; he did not.
In his Amity, Aurora and Karna amps he uses a line level input phase splitter transformer.
He indicates that the output impedance of the stage driving the input transformer should be under 2k.
Old 13th February 2018, 04:53 PM   #23
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

What is this, if not differential, AKA balanced?
Old 14th February 2018, 08:02 AM   #24
waltube is offline waltube  Italy
diyAudio Member

I tested a good solution but not so simple to impelement using in input a Sowter 3575 trafo

In this case you can use the unbal Or bal configuration from the input by a switch.
The only thing is the feedback look from output that must be on two rows.
So one of the termninal must be up from ground; one solution is to connect a 100 ohm 3 w resistor for each output terminal to ground to have a reference.
I found a solution having a center tap on secondary of the OT to ground, with a ytrafo custom made.
It works fine

Walter
Old 14th February 2018, 11:48 AM   #25
martyh is offline martyh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK808 View Post
So, by having the input going to pin 1, p2 to ? . on the secondary the p3 to one tube and p4 to ? then p5 to the other tube. Or both outputs to 2 different sections of a dual triode. You don't happen to know of a schematic of an amp where this type of IT is used as an input splitter.
This is what I would try

Primary
Pin 1 in hot
Pin 2 ground

Secondary
Pin 6 upper triode grid
pin 8 lower triode grid
pin 7 ground or bias voltage

If it is noisy try lifting pin 7 and use 47K resistors from each grid to ground or bias voltage.

transformer based phase splitterHide this!Advertise here!