• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"The Tsar" GM70 single ended amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had mine at 1200v to begin with and changed it to 1075 which seems to be a sweet spot with my OPT (Monolith Magnetics)

You never know if you don't try :)

You have better sound at 1075V B+ or? Lower B+ higher current. For OPT is better lower current because DC pre magnetization will be lower. Looking at the graph, GM-70 has even lower THD on 1200V 80mA operating point.

But, at the end, sound is what makes the magic and I'll see what's better for my ears. Good to share the experience.

Regards

It is an interesting design, and quite valid. I designed and built a much simpler GM70 amp that I completed about 7 years ago, class A1 fixed bias with interstage driven by a triode connected D3A, and all solid state supply with SiC rectifiers for the 1kV supply and CLCLC filtering with the chokes in the negative lead to minimize stress on the insulation.. I can get almost 20W in A1 with 7K primary 100mA/1kV. It remains in service to this point in time.

Hello, can you share your shematic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.