• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6P41s vs 7868

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
always looking for learning, I found this wonder on the net.
someone would have a constructive opinion on this scheme that I like a lot,
knowing that I have everything I need to build it with 7591s or 6p3Se :)

Tims_Amplifier_Rev-1.gif

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
That's correct. I suspect that New Sensor could not conveniently source Novar bases, but Magnoval bases were available. The pin circle is the same, but Magnoval pins are bigger than Novar pins. Given the "tired" state of many units' sockets, the fatter pins can be a blessing. Be warned that once current production 7868s are used, going back to OS tubes, without replacing sockets, is not an option. Given the very, very, poor availability of OS 7868s, the socket issue is theoretical, not practical.

New Sensor will make the tubes, as long as a market exits. There are some units where installing Octal sockets and 7591s will not work, due to space considerations. Profit is a very powerful motive.

IMHO the EH 7868 is actually more based on the Brimar EL506 which is magnoval. The EL506 was a further development on the 7868.

EL506 @ The Valve Museum

I prefer the 7868 over the 7591(A) as imho it has better cooling. The bakelite Octal socket does not like the amount of heat the 7591(A) produces. And a tube cooler will work better on the 7868.

AM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.