Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

DIY transformer and two-component epoxy adhesive
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2018, 09:11 AM   #31
Elerion is offline Elerion  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
What is the primary inductance? Is the magnitization (primary idle) current pretty high?
Are all the inductances as expected? Could a winding be the wrong way as to work against some of the other?
I don't think any windings is working against other.
B+ supply, bias supply and filament supply are all perfect, in terms of voltage. I use this PT in a real SEUL/SET amplifier, and it sounds great (probably my best sounding amp).

I measured the inductances (primary and also leakage) when I built it, and it seemed ok to me.
I'll measure it again today and post the exact value.

The idle current is something close to 90 mA (the amplifier is a monoblock). But, as already mentioned, the buzz is still there even when no loading at all.

There's some window height available (probably around 2 mm), and I'm using a split bobbin [primary/shield/bias] on one side, and [HV sec/filament sec] on the other.
I could unwind the top windings, and add some more turns to all, to lower the magnetization... but I probably won't get below 1.1T.

Of course this is quite a bit of work, so I was trying to avoid that if possible.
Old 14th February 2018, 11:44 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTecson View Post
like so....
Nice finish
Old 14th February 2018, 05:23 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Primary inductance is 5 H at 100 Hz.

Would you un-wind and try to add some more turns?
Probably I would only be able to get 1.2T or little less.
No much winding window left.

Last edited by Elerion; 14th February 2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 16th February 2018, 08:05 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

So, enough talk. This required work
I unwinded and added 76 more primary turns.
Magnetization should have drop to 1.2T.
I've put everything together again, and after some hours of careful work , I just tested it, and...

Partial success.
It's still buzzing, but it seems to be a bit more quiet.
Perhaps 5 dB less (according to a crude sound meter app run on my phone, just next to the core, with the same exact mounting and on the same surface).
Now I need to be close to it to be able to hear it clearly.
I even have some winding window left,... maybe I could get down to 1.15T, but unwinding it again is something I just can't think about right now

As a curiosity, I measure the magnetic field before and after the modification.
At 30 cm, it was above 2mT from the front, and about 1.2mT from one side.
Now, it is lower. 1.6mT from the front, and 0.85mT from one side.
I suppose this makes sense.

I'm still using the same stiff 1.4mm wire for filament winding. I wanted to play with a single variable at a time. I could try to replace it with bifiliar 1mm. But many hours seem to be required to get a perfect result (at least two more times taking aways the laminations, and putting them back together )
Old 16th February 2018, 09:26 PM   #35
SemperFi is offline SemperFi  Wake Island
diyAudio Member

Good job keep it up. It will be interesting to see your conclusion to what was required to reach your satisfactory xfrmr.
Old 16th February 2018, 09:28 PM   #36
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

i operate on a 0.6 to 0.8T in my tube power traffo builds, even for the higher quality cores, i seldom went beyond 1Tesla...
Old 17th February 2018, 08:35 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Before this one, I made a small PT for a preamplifier, with regular non-GOSS laminations, at 1 Tesla. It is quiet. So for this bigger one, being GOSS, I felt confident, so I targeted to 1.4 T.

Even at two meters distance, in complete silence, I can hear the buzz clearly.
It is not very annoying, but it is there, so I'm going to try to improve this further.

I'm testing the transformer like shown in the picture. No bells, no wedge, no pads. Just four bolts and those metal pieces (which I don't know their names in English) to make pressure along the short laminations sides.

Could a bad electrostatic shield or not perfectly insulated bolts make the transformer buzz? I think I've done it right, but just to know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new.jpg (304.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 17th February 2018, 09:09 AM   #38
diyAudio Moderator

if your electrostatic shield shorted out, you will see smoke come out....
otherwise no worries....
Old 17th February 2018, 09:16 AM   #39
diyAudio Moderator

@Elerion, i am looking for a plastic bobbin similar to yours, 2.25 inch center leg and 4 inches stacking height, do you have them in your place?
Old 17th February 2018, 09:39 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

@TonyTecson, what a HUGE beast!

What EI size is that? EI-171?
I can get EI-150 and EI-180, and I think EI-174 (5,8 cm center length, which is a little bit bigger) but that one I need to ask. Is this one OK for you?
For EI-180 there're bobbins for up to 12 cm stacking height, so probably there will be bobbins the height you need. Just tell me if EI-174 is good for you, or not, let me ask, and I'll come back with some news in several days time.

DIY transformer and two-component epoxy adhesiveHide this!Advertise here!