• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Value of this tube ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ECC82/12AU7s vary in value from $1 to about $50 depending who you can con/scam! :)

LOL .... Nice try. I couldn't remember what was special about them. These are not normal tubes, and difficult to find. I remember that much.
I was finally able to find how to search for the tube properly on Ebay. Found a Youtube video called: How to Spot Rare German 12AU7 Tubes featuring the RARE Siemens Silver Plate!
I finally found out my 1960's rare German made Siemens Silverplates go from $150 up on Ebay. Consensus seems to be, these are among the best sounding 12AU7s ever made. Was kind of hard finding that info. Took me all morning.

LOL .... Nice try. I couldn't remember what was special about them. These are not normal tubes, and difficult to find. I remember that much.
I was finally able to find how to search for the tube properly on Ebay. Found a Youtube video called: How to Spot Rare German 12AU7 Tubes featuring the RARE Siemens Silver Plate!
I finally found out my 1960's rare German made Siemens Silverplates go from $150 up on Ebay. Consensus seems to be, these are among the best sounding 12AU7s ever made. Was kind of hard finding that info. Took me all morning.

Found out, it is that funny diagonal looking H thing, which is the identifier for this rare tube. That is what drives the price up.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
They, the Mazda gray plate, and some Mullards are significantly more linear than the garden variety of 12AU7A. I believe RFT may have also made a good one based on some mysterious ones I had knocking around the place.

There are other common and comparatively inexpensive types that easily match or exceed their performance, but if you need a 12AU7A/ECC82 your choices are a bit constrained. A certain nameless company's Canadian division made nice ones too, and they are only quasi-moderately insanely priced.. LOL Some 5814 have proven to have merit as well.

Nice one, I better paint that on a few I have lying around.........not really

I hear that ! LOL
Truth is, I would NOT know if this tube sounds better than others to many people. I have not been able to test/hear the competition. What I do know, is this tube must be hard to get. Because I was just contacted, and sold my tube with dampening device for $150. :cheers:

It also says on the glass "Siemens" and "Made In Germany". It always seems to be the case with old valves that what is painted on the outside has more effect on monetary value than what is contained on the inside.

I used to have two 'silver plate' ECC83, labelled Marconi and possibly made in Spain. They look very similar to this ECC82, and like it are rare and perhaps sought after. Unfortunately at the time (approaching 40 years ago) they were simply some cheap valves I bought for the audio stages of a transmitter. One was eventually used to repair a PA amp for the local church. I don't know where the other one is.

I am out of the tube scene at this time, but I did find an old email with info about these tubes, from when I was tube rolling. I remember now, how I had tried 7 or 8 loaned tubes in my DAC. And all of them had some sort of "tubey" sound at the freq extremes, which I did not like. Roll off, if you will. These Silverplates were recommended because they had very extended lows and highs, while still having a rich midrange. Supposedly, more than any other 12AU7s. I remember now, how they opened up the top end, and tightened up the bass, more like really good solid state. They changed the Minimax DAC from a good one, to a great one.

I think THIS is what I read about being told why they are so sought after .... They were considered to have the best traits of solid state and tube sound. Lucky I keep ALL audio related emails in a Gmail folder ! Regardless, I can't speak for if they are worth it or not .... only the individual buyer can.
Hoping everyone has a good day.

Last edited:
Yup. Same people who say 6N8/9S sound like marde compared to 6SN/L7... Not in a properly designed circuit it doesn't...

I like the russian 6N8S so much that I ordered another ten to do a big-ish parallel push pull AB2 amp with them. Let the Golden Ears and Tone Snobs fight over the expensive stuff. For those of us that aren't obsessed with tube rolling and audiophool nonsense the surplus stuff is fantastic value. In a properly designed/implemented circuit they are wonderful tubes.

Whenever I hear "rich midrange" or "very extended lows and highs" etc. I immediately think one thing - the curcuit must be rubbish.

This "Minimax DAC" is easy to find using a search engine:

MiniMax DAC

Looking at their quoted specs, check the output impedance values:

Output Impedance :
Tube 22K
Solid State 10K

So now I think to myself.... wow, how did they ever manage to get Solid State ouput impedance THAT high?

Maybe I should consider a career in marketing? :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.