• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Low output impedance or linearity...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone !

I am planning to build a preamplifier with DHT. The fact is that I need at least 10dB of gain.

I am interested by the 10Y, 801A, 101D.

But with those tubes I can't use step-down output transformer because I need the entire gain of those tubes.

I can use step-down transformer only if I use two 10Y or 801A etc..

I feel it's not a good solution to use two tubes when only one tube can do the job.

I can also look after another candidates, the 20B, with mu of 20, I can have the necessary gain and step-down transformer to have really low output impedance.

I am wondering if it's really an advantage to use high mu tube to have low output impedance ?

Why some people are using step-down output and use step-up at input of the amplifier ? Why it seems so important to have low output impedance ?

Why some people prefer use two gain stage to have low output impedance ?

My amplifier have 47k input. But anyway, I can change it.

Thank you :)

What cable capacitance is there between the preamplifier and the main amplifier? The capacitance will form a low-pass with your preamplifier's output impedance. If the bias current is low and the cable capacitance high, you might also get slewing when the signal has a high rate of change (which most audio signals have not).

The hybrid mu-follower (aka gyrator) can provide very low output impedance (1/gm of top FET) and the gain of the low/mid-mu DHT. Also you can implement filament bias in the DHT to get the best sound out of it. Some high filament current DHTs will not work. the VT25/10Y can be implemented with filament bias for a preamp stage. I have it on my system and is one of the best preamps I’ve ever built over the years. Have more than 6 DHT preamps active these days!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
801a has about 5k plate resistance -at typical 18..20mA anode current-.
10Y/801a 1:1 OPT loaded preamp has -about- 5.5k output impedance (at 1kHz) such similar -high- anode current.
There is no change even 20kHz or higher frequency.

Preamp tubes -with such high plate resistance- at tiny (few mA) anode current mostly unable to drive device (cable or amplifier) with high capacitance (at high frequency), so step-down transformer (or another method -for example CCS or gyrator-) is necessary to use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.