Donor H/K A224 Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2004, 05:09 AM   #1
VeeDub is offline VeeDub  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Donor H/K A224 Amp

Hello All.
I'm new to this forum and also pretty new to the tube world so please forgive me for the very broad question that I am about to ask.
I have a Harmon Kardon A224 Integrated Amp that badly needs updating (caps and resistors) but is still operational. I was thinking that with the needed reworking, and my desire to never leave things alone, maybe I would be better off to use this as a donor to build a little more up to date amp without all of the excess, unnecessary controls. In case you are unfamiliar with the 224, the unit has 3-12ax7, 2-12au7, a 5AR4 rectifier and a quad of EL84's.
And finally for my question: Should I just replace caps and resistors and leave it be or should I turn it into a donor?
If I should use it for a donor, Any interesting ideas/links on what to do with it?
Thanks for bearing with me.
Old 8th April 2004, 11:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'd go for a rebuild. Those old HK amplifiers were highly rated.
Make sure you replace the electrolytic caps in the power supply before you do anything else.

Have fun and let us know how it sounds when you finish.
Old 12th May 2004, 09:55 AM   #3
Jagner is offline Jagner  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I also have an H/K 224 and I use it with my old Garrard Zero. It's a nice amp and if I were you, I'd rebuild it. The caps and the resistors are readily available.

I'll try to post the schematic diagram of the amp as soon as I find it.

Cheers.
Old 1st May 2007, 08:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default H/K A224

have seend the internal build, its on a copper plate and all the parts also appear in good condition. any special care needs to be taken , before i power on

Hide this!Advertise here!