• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Please help to choose schematics for a KT88 PP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Colleagues,
My father and I made our first SE tube amplifier and now are preparing to create a more powerful KT88 PP.
In the internet, I have found several schematics (attached, including one from this site).
Could you please help and advice which one is the better to choose? Or may be something else...

Also I would be glad if you could advice where to get output transformers suitable for it.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Wil Amp.jpg
    Wil Amp.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 1,680
  • 12SL7-KT88-Push-Pull-Valve-Amp-Schematic.png
    12SL7-KT88-Push-Pull-Valve-Amp-Schematic.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 1,773
  • KT88.jpg
    KT88.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2,269
Two of those schematics are basically Williamson designs. They will work well but will be difficult to make stable and will likely require a fair amount of experimentation to do so.

As is often recommended a Mullard style circuit will likely be a lot easier to implement, while yielding good results

All three are way to complicated versions that may have stability problems unless one has access to some instruments.

Build a dynaco MkIII, transformers are available at dynakitparts.com and others, so is schematics. Driver tube 6an8 is available as NOS at reasonable prices. That would be a first-class amp to get up and running.

Using that amp as testbench you can elaborate with the other designs and see for yourself what differences will show up.

Thank you for the replies! My father has about 50 years of experience in working with electronic stuff (as being a head of a service on an atomic icebreaker), so I am rather confident in him. But he also asked me to find an oscilloscope for a reasonable price.
I will show him the MkIII scheme. Does it have any advantage over the Williamson design (besides being easier to build)?
How would a Mullard style PP look like?

I agree with the Mullard circuit suggestion, as the topology is "idiot resistant" and tends to work well with O/P "iron" whose "pedigree" may be slightly shaky.

As for an o'scope, I have no idea if a Soviet era item can be sourced, at modest cost. A USB model, with software for your computer, might be the best bet. Shipping charges can be very nasty, when a heavy item is transported over a long distance. USB o'scopes don't weigh much.

I can recommend Dynaco style circuit based on excellent soviet 6F12P triode-pentode.
I have used this circuit from 10 W 6V6 to 100 W JJ EL509 PP amplifiers.
Attached the schematic of pentode connected EL509. For KT88 I recommend to modify this to UL output stage and 100 k grid resistors, if fixed bias is used.

Attachments

• EL509_6F12P_PP_uusi.GIF
    EL509_6F12P_PP_uusi.GIF
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,161
JJ EL509 amp - Artosalo

Hello Artosalo,

Do you have a Power Supply to go along with your EL509 design to share?

Also, did you have any faulty JJ EL509's?

I have read on the Transcendent Sound forum where they are used in OTL's where they say to to buy extras as they often have failures.

I do not know how they are run in the OTL's though.

I am considering another project, high power Pentode to play Magnepan MMG speakers and your amplifier looks like it may be suitable.

Thanks

Andrew

Yes I have. I have an universal type that has adjustable G2 and G1 voltages.
Schematic attached and a photo. The PCB at left is this version.
For JJ EL509 the screen grid voltage was 150 Vdc.

I have had no failures with EL509.

Attachments

• GU50 ja EL34 PS.jpg
    GU50 ja EL34 PS.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 523
  • GU50_PP_Poweri.GIF
    GU50_PP_Poweri.GIF
    20.2 KB · Views: 535
Hi, Friends!
Thank you for all the posts. We had some issues and finally came to the step of searching for transformers and other parts.
The basic design would be the Dynaco Mk 3 as attached.
I was just wondering before we get started whether the KT88 SE 13Wt as attached is in any ways better that the Dynaco Mk3? Does anybody have thoughts, experience?

Attachments

• dynaco-Dynakit-Mark-III-Schematic.png
    dynaco-Dynakit-Mark-III-Schematic.png
    119.6 KB · Views: 916
  • AD KT88 PSE.jpg
    AD KT88 PSE.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 504
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.