Voltage Doubler Problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2004, 07:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Voltage Doubler Problem

Say, folks, here is a dumb problem that I'm not yet able to track down.

I have a simple voltage doubler connected a 240VAC winding. The partially loaded xformer is actually producing 270VAC. The doubler is 1n4007s with 220u/450V caps. I am expecting to get about 750volts (no load except cap leakage) from this configuration. I get more like 715?

When I load the doubler with about 23mA, it pulls way down to 638V or so. The xformer loads down to 260VAC.

This loading effect seems excessive to me. I've run PSUD on it and nothing like this happens.

Is this telling me that my doubling caps are leaking heavily? Or something else?

Thanks.
Old 6th April 2004, 07:29 PM   #2
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Runeight,

With 2 ohm ESR caps and 60 ohm transformer resistance, I SIM the results you are measuring.
Old 6th April 2004, 07:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi -

Are you going half wave? Btw, if you go full wave off of a center tapped secondary, you can use a bridge rectifier for all the doubler diodes, I've found. That's how I'm getting a unipolar doubled voltage in addition to the regular plus and minus fw rectified outputs for my HT amp project. I'm getting good regulation results with my doubler & tripler because I'm using polypropylene caps which have negligible esrs. Of course the values are smaller so there's more ripple, but that'll be cleaned up with a series choke/shunt cap filter at the doubler (& tripler) output in the final version.

Btw, if you are running two caps in series at the output of the doubler, maybe adding a couple of high value voltage equalizing resistors might be worth a try?
Old 6th April 2004, 07:54 PM   #4
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Half or full wave?

Good point Thoriated My sim was using full wave (as PSUD uses).
Old 6th April 2004, 08:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks. It's a full wave doubler. The secondary is center tapped, but I'm not using the tap.

The doubler caps are followed by a choke and then two caps in series with equalizing resistors in on the caps.

Thoriated, can you show a drawing?
Old 6th April 2004, 09:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If the choke is before the cap following the rectifiers, that might be killing the regulation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doublers2.jpg (26.3 KB, 278 views)
Old 6th April 2004, 11:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Um, that's an awful lot of circuit for a doubler. Reminds me of the dual-bridge circuits oft used in SS amps..

There's also a lot of circuit surrounding the key area but look below. This is (er, will eventually be) the power supply for a quad 6146 amp, 600V at .5A. (The big PT would be either tapped or fed with a buck transformer to provide the three output voltages shown.)

The key is low resistance (winding, ESR and diode losses need to be minimized) and high capacitance (which makes high current peaks which require low resistance...). This style doubler can be envisaged as two half-wave rectifiers working opposite half-cycles from the same two-wire source.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: gif 6146_ps.gif (8.6 KB, 244 views)
Old 6th April 2004, 11:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi -

The doubler is in the left half of the schematic, and the choke and second shunt cap are optional, depending on how much ripple is tolerable, so the full wave doubler, aside from the transformer, can be realized with four components. The right half is a conventional dual output supply which is shown only for comparison purposes.
Old 7th April 2004, 01:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Ok.

The nice thing about a FWB is that, if you go overseas a lot, you need only change one (1) connection (which can be done with an SPST switch) to convert from FWB to FWD! That's how switching supplies get dual voltage capability: they run the HF transformer and stuff from +340VDC rails.
Of course this is moot since you'll smoke almost any transformer or otherwise lose regulation (except maybe with a Turner Audio transformer...damn he overbuilds those things) in doing so.

If nothing else... it might be a good way to test double the voltage on a circuit. I suppose. Not really too useful for audio.

Tim
Old 7th April 2004, 03:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

thoriated, I see what you're doing, adding a full wave doubler on top of a full wave bridge.

thanks for the replies and diagrams. i've got more testing to do for sure.

here's a drawing of the doubler in question.
Attached Images
File Type: gif voltage doubler.gif (5.0 KB, 207 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!