• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6922 as a CCS, a question ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to design a simple preamp. I am going to use one half of a 6922 as a CCS. I will be running the tube at B+ of 50V (anode at 0V and cathode at -50V) delivering a constant current of about 7mA. I think I need to hold the grid at about -35V by using a voltage divider. Anyone like confirm that i'am on the right track ???

The grid has to be negative with respect to the cathode by a couple of volts. What I'd do is connect the cathode to the -50 rail via a resistor (one of the sim guys can probably suggest a value; if you want to use my method of solder-and-try, start with 390-470 ohms), then connect the grid directly to the -50 rail. The resistor will bias up the cathode by a few volts positive, which in a relative sense accomplishes the same thing. The cathode resistor's degeneration will also stiffen the CCS, a good thing.

7mA

I will be running the tube at B+ of 50V (anode at 0V and cathode at -50V) delivering a constant current of about 7mA.

Hi

I don't think you can pass 7mA thru a 6DJ8 with only 50V anode to cathode. I ran a few sims and according to the two models I have you need about 165V plate to cahtode with a cathode resistor of about 470 ohms. One model with 50V a-k was about 4mA with a 30 ohm cathode resistor.

Wayne

As you can probably quess my knowledge of tubes is scant so you will have to bare with me.
I was originally going to use a 7K resistor to apply the 7mA to the cathode. I have used a 6922 with 100V B+ and generated a 7mA current through it and things sound fine. In this configeration the 7ma was generated with a 14K resistor. I am trying to improve the whole circuit by replacing that resistor with a constant current source, unfortunately in doing that I think I am halving my availble voltage over the two halves of the triode, so instead of having 100v availble to the valve, I only have 50V each half. Will I have to accept that if I go down this rought that I will only have the much lower current to play with. My question really is, if I attempt to get this working at either 3ma or 7ma, what potential will I have to hold the grid at, and what resistor wiill generate that potential, assuming that I use a single biasing resistor, referenced to the negative rail.

If I get this right I think a lot of people may be interested in the result.

Please forgive my ignorance on this, but despite all my internet research I have a very slight grasp on the mechanics of valves.

Shoog

Hi

Yes, I have to add that the models I have aren't very accurate in the high current region. So experiment with the resistor values.
As Sy said the higher the V a-k and resistor value the better the regulation. There may be other valves that will give you what you need.
You could use a FET (cough). :xeye:

Wayne :)

I omitted to mention the possably vital information that the CCS is to be at the bottom of a Cascoded pair, and that the line out is at the junction of the two. Hence it functions as a less than unity gain line amp.
I am certain that this will effect the implementation, as none of the example of this use just a cathode resistor. I have seen this done with both a single resistor from the neg rail to the grid and a voltage divider from with one leg to earth. There is then a cathode resistor. I am not certain of the mechanism that this uses, but it is a varient of the grounded cathode amplifier. I am begining to think that in this situation the B+ voltage will not be at 0V.

Again forgive my total ignorance- but I am really trying hard to understand a new field.

Shoog

FWIW, a pentode makes a better current sink than a triode.

Wiring 1/2 a 6922 as a cathode follower and loading it with a CC 6AU6 should accomplish your near unity gain goal nicely. A stack of 3X red LEDs will take care of 6922 biasing needs. Use a B+ rail of approx 175 V. You will set the 6922 Ib to 3.5 mA. Cap. couple the 6922's cathode to the O/P. Wire a 1 MOhm resistor across the O/P RCA jack's terminals.

Use a 1.2 KOhm cathode resistor on the 6AU6. Connect the "legs" of a 1 MOhm pot. between B+ and ground. Connect the wiper of the pot. to the 6AU6's control grid. Connect the 6AU6's screen grid to its plate via a 1 MOhm resistor. Ground the screen grid via a 100 nF. cap. Starting at the grounded end, adjust the wiper of the 1 MOhm pot. to yield a drop of 4.2 V. across the 1.2 KOhm cathode resistor.

Separate floating supplies for the 6922 and 6AU6 heaters are indicated. DC on the 6922 heater would not hurt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.