Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

EL34 output transformer replacement
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2018, 02:53 AM   #1
samitha10555 is offline samitha10555
diyAudio Member

Default EL34 output transformer replacement

Hi, recently an damaged output transformer was rewound and reinstalled in my Muse EL 34 based amplifier. Now there is a motorboating noise coming from the channel that the transformer was repaired. Further it was noted that this noise goes off when the Negative feedback loop is removed.
Much appreciate if I could get advise to sort out this issue.
Many thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 05:19 AM   #2
VaNarn is offline VaNarn  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you can swap the O/P transformers over, the process may indicate if the fault is with the rewound transformer or it is specific to the one channel. Swapping the tubes/valves over may also be a worthwhile procedure to follow as a faulty one could be the cause of the problem. I trust that the transformer rewinder carefully followed the 'recipe' of how the original sectioning of the primary and secondary wirings were layered. If not you have an expensive repair on your hands.
Old 12th January 2018, 06:11 AM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

May be as simple as the plate/screen leads are swapped. Assuming that power supply decoupling is in order (and not shared between channels) it could be swapped leads or the transformer has more LF phase shift than was originally case and this is particularly critical if the design is based on the Williamson.
Old 12th January 2018, 06:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks VaNArn, I did swap the two transformers and now fault has got transferred. As you mentioned looks as if there is an issue with the re-wound transformer but all works fine when negative feedback loop is removed. No distortions. Sounds good but volume level has gone up as a effect of NFB removal. Is there a way to adjust the NFB to suit the rewound transformer?
Old 12th January 2018, 06:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks KEvin, Yes as you said could be that transformer has more LF phase shift but how could we explain what is happening when NFB is removed?
Old 12th January 2018, 07:15 AM   #6
petertub is offline petertub  Sweden
diyAudio Member

There might be excessive large caps in the amp. Transmitting and amplifying frequency's outside the transformers ability is a sure way to get feedback problems.

As the problems occurs after rewinding, the rewinding have not reproduced the transformer as it was. A repeated rewind might be a waste om money, i would buy a new transformer from some well-known source.
Old 12th January 2018, 09:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks petertub
Old 12th January 2018, 10:13 AM   #8
bandol83 is offline bandol83  France
diyAudio Member

I would check if the negative feedback is connected correctly since the problem disappear when it is removed ! It is possible that the signal and ground lines are crossed...

Please check before to buy another transformer
Old 12th January 2018, 10:18 AM   #9
JonSnell Electronic is online now JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Swap the anode load leads over to invert the NFB phase.
Old 12th January 2018, 11:21 AM   #10
wdecho is offline wdecho  United States
diyAudio Member

Had same problem with Chinese kit. Swap plate and B+ wires. An example my wires were blue and red. I put red to B+ and blue to plate and it oscillated with feedback. I reversed the wires, blue to B+ and red to plates and cured the problem.

EL34 output transformer replacementHide this!Advertise here!