EU to ban vacuum tubes from 1st January, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I worked temporarily in Milan quite some years ago, everyone transferred over from the US in our group came down with a rash on their face and arms after a few days. I asked about what was going on over there, and the locals said it was diesel pollution, everyone gets the rash, but it goes away after a while.

The very worst pollution is the tiniest particulate stuff. Now the newest gasoline cars are coming out with high pressure fuel injection too, to get 1% better fuel mileage. Pollution studies recently found that they put out the same tiny deadly particulate stuff as diesels. You will all be getting rashes soon. Lung cancer too.

I would definitely not be happy with a start-stop engine. Engine wear is off the scale. Slightest problem starting and you have a completely useless vehicle. GM might as well quit the auto business now (start-stop everything).

Best car ever made was an 89 Nissan Maxima, lasted 28 years, always self serviced, instantly starting right to the end, 28 years later. 3 valves per cylinder and SOHC on each cylinder bank was the key.

I now have a later model and it is junk compared to that earlier model. Steers like a go-cart, hard starting, DOHC 4 valve per cylinder is near impossible to rebuild, individual ignition coils are constantly failing, replace multiple oxygen sensors every 6 months, all for 10 more HP. What a POS! I'm looking for a non rusted out 89 to 95 Maxima to restore, seriously. The old 89 engine is still running perfect.

Last edited:
They lie all the time, in my country they say Gov dont have money to pay pensions from elders, health and free education, but in 31JAN18 the analog TV signal will be turned off, so the same Federal Gov is giving free digital TV kits for the poor families to continue watching TV.

I asked about what was going on over there, and the locals said it was diesel pollution, everyone gets the rash, but it goes away after a while.

The very worst pollution is the tiniest particulate stuff. .

My car has a diesel particulate filter on it to stop small particles getting out.
The car sporadically puts out extra fuel into the exhaust to burn off the particulates.

I must admit I mostly turn off stop/start to take the strain off the battery and starter motor. I just had my battery replaced after only 18 months use from new !

Stop/start doesn't put extra wear on the engine as the engine is already lubricated from when it was running. The only time excessive wear occurs is from cold before the oil gets circulated.

It needs an electric oil pump to keep it pressurized during stop times. The car manufacturers are using 5X better bearings on such vehicles, but one stops more than 5 times on a typical short trip around town.

I'm not aware of any filter that stops the worst 2.5 micron particulate stuff, but maybe something new is out.

With all the new cars spewing 2.5 micron death particulates, lung cancer is set to EXPLODE worldwide. And then there is all the ever expanding Jet aircraft traffic that is spewing out worse stuff than diesel. And then shipping, Bunker C soot... Oh yeah, and COAL! Pure Genius. We will be "leading" the world now. And commercialized space rockets now too. "Rocket Man" will probably cap off the whole era, radioactive dust everywhere. Count your years.

Last edited:
It needs an electric oil pump to keep it pressurized during stop times. .

So long as the surfaces are wet with oil it should be ok.
At least for short periods.

I tend to use my car differently. For short stops I disable it, for longer stops I enable it again. Its not good in long lines of stop/start traffic, it can turn on and off many times.

The filter does a good job but it can get clogged if the engine is just doing short low speed journeys. It really needs a motorway journey now and then to burn off the particulates. If they get clogged they are about £600 to replace.

Smoking-amp

You are right IMO. My latest car had (I disabled it) this stupid stop start nonsense. The starter motor and in fact most other high load low use things in the car have a pack of super capacitors around them. To me this just makes the car weigh less as there is no need for big heavy copper wires in the loom. Mine seems to use a couple of heavyish circuits for the front stuff and one for the back. Everything and I mean everything is controlled by modbus. So basically designed to die and go obsolete.

Anyway the greatest cause of engine wear is lack of oil pressure at start whether hot or cold. You guessed it there is zero oil pressure without the engine running. Having an electric oil pump negates the so called saving whilst being stopped so is not fitted. Beside that is the fact, super caps or not, the engine still has to recharge the battery after a start and then the battery the caps. Nothing is 100% efficient as we all know. So the car is also designed to destroy itself mechanicaly.

I had a 12 valve Hyundai that I maintained myself. It went round the clock twice and the engine and gearbox (two clutches) were still fine when I scrapped it. It died from road salt.

In the automotive world we are going backwards in some effort to boost new sales, of that I am sure.

Cheers
Matt.

Best thing you can do Nigel is disable the stop start stuff. In the long run it will save you money. In the short term it will save you the hastle you have had with a knackered battery. Does your new battery have a 5 year guarantee?

Cheers
Matt

Last edited:
I guess with all the extra battery and super capacitors, they don't have to size the accessories (alternator) for more than the average usage.

My newer car has been through 4 starters now. (the old car still has the original)
The newer car has the oil dipstick bored directly into the casting above the exhaust manifold. (the old one has the dip stick tube down below the exhaust manifold) When I put synthetic oil in the newer one, it leaks out the dipstick and valve cover gaskets onto the exhaust manifold. The synthetic oil makes the most sickening smell when it smokes on the manifold. Not to mention the fire hazard.

The newer DOHC/4 valve stuff requires 3 timing chains. (the old one has one timing belt) The friction is so high it wears out the starter motor real fast. Takes like 3 tries in cold weather. (the old one starts instantly always) Even the crankshaft pulley failed on the newer one, split in half. Never even heard of that before. The crimp sealed style radiator is leaking at the corners. A vise grips fixed that till Spring I hope. The old one is still fine, original radiator. Could go on and on about this POS... And to think that I paid 3 times as much for this one as the old reliable one.

The old one is still sitting in the driveway quietly. Transmission failed after 200,000 miles. Body rusted out in the back. Its been on so many out back trips in the mountains, I just can't part with the good ole times. But every time I talk with a transmission repair shop or mechanic they think it would be crazy to repair it now. If I could just find a perfect car body for it now, I might make the big restoration decision.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but all this hate of the motor auto stop is BS..
I've been driving a honda hybrid since 2010. Have almost 200000 miles on it. The engine shuts itself off every time I stop. (unless it's really cold or hot out, then it stays on for the environmental controls).

Never a single problem. I plan on keeping it about 3 more years.
I get 40 miles per gallon. I drive like a maniac.. I treat the throttle like an on off switch most of the time.

I do agree that something w/ fuel causes rashes... I have a car dealer client. If I ever have a big job there and spend most of the whole week at their office, my hands, feet, and face break out. My doctor says it's psoriasis. But, it goes away once I'm away from all the black gunk that covers everything at the dealership.

Last edited:
You are right I think it's all about making it cheap. Copper is expensive these days. Maybe we should re-open our copper mines over here in the UK.

Normally I would say cam chains are far more reliable than belts. It doesn't really get cold enough here to really know I guess.

Either way I am with you on a late 80's early 90's Honda. That Hyundai I had was basically a 1989 Honda Civic copy in different clothes. Great car, wasn't quick and was stupidly ugly but was so reliable it's almost unbelievable.

Cheers
Matt

That's a very good point.. I don't have a starter.
I don't think engine wear is an issue these days. Although, I don't have experience w/ anything other than Honda and Toyota with stop start.

It won't be long before electric is the norm, anyway. Then we might have a new set of issues to worry about, like finding resources for all the batteries.

A friend of mine has a Prius. When he went to the dealer to have the headlight bulb changed, they told him $500. They have to remove the bumper to get to it.
Too much stuff crammed under the hood. Serviceability is another whole issue with modern cars. I had to buy special two foot long wrenches to get to the timing belt and external belts on the Maxima.

Oh, I do agree that a timing chain (oil lubricated) is more reliable than a timing belt. But when there are 3 of them running 4 camshafts driving 4 valves per cylinder, you better not have to EVER change them. The timing belt was easy to change, even though the dealer wanted $1300. My cars have never seen an official repair shop. I paid $1200 for the old Maxima after it was 10 years old. And $4500 for the newer Maxima after it was 10 years old. My wife sold me them both after she bought new cars. She just hated seeing the old one still running good after going through two more cars.

Last edited:
Wow, that's really bad design! I'm happy to say my honda is normal... I can access the bulbs from inside the engine compartment.
Sadly nothing is designed to be user serviceable these days. I know the Chevy dealer I work for makes more on service than selling cars. Maybe when the economy collapses we can look forward to getting back to objects we buy once and own a lifetime and repair ourselves.

True blues, over here it is not often that you see a V6 or even a V8. Funny the old automotive market worldwide.

A relative of mine has but now cannot drive at night a Chrysler PT cruiser. I will reserve judgement on it as it has done 400,000 odd miles. One headlight went pop, a normal thing but each headlight has its own little microcontroller box. All very well, replace the bulb. Not that simple it does have stupid code in there that means you need the unobtanium in this country "control box" this means when the second bulb blows as they do it's game over. LMFAO, I hate working on other people's cars.

So basically for this car when it is due it's next MOT it will fail and be scrapped. Shame as it's been reliable but with let's say quirks.

Status
Not open for further replies.