• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Compound amplifier with constant current sources and DC coupling between stages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found 'Compound amplifier with constant current sources and DC coupling between stages' in TUBECAD Journal. With single IXYS 10M45S or 10M90S I think I may be able to implement simple CCS's. This looks similar issue with CCS's for CCD line amp?

Any comment and advice would be appreciated.

img28.gif

Hi all,
With or without 5k resistors. Is that okay to connetct directly b/w V1 and V2 without coupling capacitors?
I'm considering to build the circuit 12AU7 as V1 with 10M90S CCS and 6922 as v2 with resistor load (w/o CCS) and also considering capacitor coupling b/w V! and V2 for stable working (I'm not sure interaction b/w V1 and V2 in case of Direct Coupled..).

Is that okay to connect directly b/w V1 and V2 without coupling capacitors?

Yes. All you need to do is adjust V1 plate voltage via the CSS active load and/or V1 cathode resistor such that it equal to the negative bias voltage that you want for V2. In your example schematic that will be 100V for a -2V of V2 grid bias. If you want a -5V bias, you will need to set it to 97V.

Last edited:
All you need to do is adjust V1 plate voltage via the CSS active load and/or V1 cathode resistor such that it equal to the negative bias voltage that you want for V2.

More specifically,

1. Replace V2 cathode follower CSS+5K with a 10K resistor. This should yield the ~102V cathode at idle for the 6922.

2. Replace the 200R V1 cathode resistor with a 330R. This will drop the 12AU7 Ip to 6mA from the 10mA Ip of the 6DJ8. This is to retain the -2V Vg bias and the Vp of 100V.

3. Adjust 10M90S CCS R to yield near 6mA "and" the require -2V V2 bias. Note, The -2V bias is more important than the 6mA in this case. 10M90S also needs in circuit adjustment. The data sheet number is only an approximate.

Last edited:
Compound amplifier with constant current sources and DC coupling between stages 2

Hi,

I have follow-on/similar questions of the forum I posted -
Compound amplifier with constant current sources and DC coupling between stages

Recently I built 'Morgan Jones OTL headphone amplifier' with attached schematic.

1.png

It works well but I would change the tube of first stage with smooth and old style one such as 6cg7,6fq7,12au7, etc..

And I would also apply plate loaded CCS instead of R2, 27K for those first stage tubes with keeping direct coupled b/w stages.

I would apply Hybrid Mu Stage of Alan Kimmel as CCS of the first stage. I focus on 'fixed bias of the Mu stage' which can manage plate voltage of first stage tube and it may maintain the operation point of direct coupled.

My expectation is if I'd connect fixed bias resistors with pot, I could manage bias voltage of first stage-plate voltage of first stage and grid voltage of second stage. And I would easily manage 2~3 V difference b/w grid and cathode of second stage for direct coupling b/w stages.

PLS refer to the schematic I would try to apply..

figure-5.jpg

20180718_214403[1].jpg

Any recommendations / comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Silviu,

Thank you for your comments.

What I'd try is not Mu Follower but fixed bias CCS using Alan Kimmel hybrid mu follower. Morgan Jones headphone amp has white cathode follower and additional follower function is not required.
And my focus is operation of DC b/w stages using fixed bias CCS, not the quality of CCS.

The Gyrator looks very attractive and it has fixed bias, so I can use it as CCS. But my 'Morgan Jones' has no space to accommodate big CCS/Mu follower circuits.

Regards,

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.