Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Looking for 6P30B Amp Schematic
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2018, 02:07 PM   #1
Kevin Mitchell is offline Kevin Mitchell  United States
diyAudio Member

Cool Looking for 6P30B Amp Schematic

Hello, everyone. I have recently joined this forum in pursuit to build a sub mini tube amplifier for my home setup. I have built quite a few circuits since I've started DIY electronics a few years back and would really like to get this one done. I had finally decided to purchase a turn table to play some records I had been given years ago and of course I was not prepared lacking a preamp and an amp/receiver to power a pair of speakers.

A couple years back I've purchased a bunch of 6N16B and 6N17B triodes and also a handful of 6P30B pentodes. Since I'm not a conditioned or savvy electrical engineer I am hoping someone around the forum may have an amplifier circuit that uses these tubes they could send my way.

I have chosen this forum due to the popularity of turntable topics. I have also found here the Mini-Me Preamp that uses 6N16B tubes and I am for sure going to use this for the MM RIAA preamp. I believe what would come next is a stereo amplifier with a a few preamp controls (ya know, like a guitar amp but not as noisy).

To note; my experiences have been with stompboxes, synths and one tube amp under my belt (deluxe reverb).

EDIT: this being my first post I may have put it in the wrong subject of the site. My apologies. EDIT AGAIN; looks like it was moved. Thank you

Last edited by Kevin Mitchell; 8th January 2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 9th January 2018, 12:40 PM   #2
Koonw is offline Koonw
diyAudio Member

Anyone have experience with transformers for a 6p30b-r PP Amp?

6p30b PPP of 12-14W using 3K OPT in UL mode is possible according to above builder.

Chinese bbs:

??????6N16B?6P30B???????????_diy?????????????????? ???????_haoDIY

Last edited by Koonw; 9th January 2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 14th January 2018, 06:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you for sharing those links. Though I have reviewed them prior to this making this thread.

The trouble is not knowing the source of the schematics that have been posted around the internet I'm not sure if their verified nor do I know what the power specs of certain parts would be. I was hoping perhaps someone around had a schematic they could elaborate on a bit more.

I might not mind a SE setup since I don't often crank of amps to rattling volumes. For now I'm looking for something to experiment with and I guess what I can find is good enough to start. I'll surely have to learn a bit more of the designing side of things.
Old 15th January 2018, 05:41 AM   #4
Koonw is offline Koonw
diyAudio Member

Any specific or particular schematic you wish to be elaborated? They need not be the creator owner but many here can verify the correctness to some extends so this will narrow down the risk for you.
Old 15th January 2018, 05:53 AM   #5
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

I was experimenting with it, for a guitar amp. Nice tube!

www.wavebourn.com • View topic - Sub-miniature guitar tube amp
Old 15th January 2018, 05:57 AM   #6
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I was experimenting with it, for a guitar amp. Nice tube!

www.wavebourn.com View topic - Sub-miniature guitar tube amp
However, it was designed for overdrive, sag and sustain. G2 current was pulling down it's source that also powered preamp tubes, like in Fender Champ, but more pronounced, for longer sustain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg microchamp-5.jpg (132.3 KB, 122 views)
Old 15th January 2018, 03:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

@Wavebourn Thanks for sharing that schematic of your amp! If there was more information I'd probably throw one together myself

@Koonw The simpicity of this SE schematic is a good place to start. I'm not sure if it's verified nor do I know what wattage resistors to use so I'm not frying things. Also it doesn't show the rated primary impedance of the output transformer. I'd like to find something with tone controls but I don't see too many hifi amp schematics with these options.
Click the image to open in full size.

Someone on this site has said it's a drop in replacement for a 5902 pentode. Comparing datasheets they don't seem too far apart but I wouldn't be sure enough to use a 5902 schematic with the same values.

I have an SMPS that I threw together and failed to get working. I may pick at this today but I plan to snag these transformers for the final unit. It seems I have a couple of options on how I could use the output transformers so I figured they were worth snagging.
PT
OT (2 of them for stereo)
Old 15th January 2018, 05:27 PM   #8
Koonw is offline Koonw
diyAudio Member

By looking at the other schematic, about 5mA for R4=47k Wattage=I*I*R=0.005*0.005*47000=1.175W, use 2W for R4. R6=0.005*0.005*1000=0.25W.
About 30mA for R9=330 Wattage=0.03*0.03*330=0.29W, use 1W for R9.

The rest can use 1/4W to 1W.

For 4k OPT, if it is 30H the bottom freqency is about 20Hz, for same inductance if 8k the bottom frequency is double to 40Hz. Ask manufacturer for the inductance value if not given.

f = Z/(2*Pi*L)
L=30H, Z=8000
f=8000/(2*3.142*30)
f=8000/188.5=42Hz
if Z=4000
f=4000/188.5=21Hz
Old 16th January 2018, 06:07 AM   #9
Koonw is offline Koonw
diyAudio Member

There is a missing resistor in the schematic, please see attached for details. Attached also the LTSpice sim with tube models for those interested.
Attached Images
File Type: png 6p30b SET schematic plots-1.png (60.4 KB, 72 views)
Attached Files
File Type: asc 6p30b set-1.asc (5.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th January 2018, 01:13 PM   #10
Koonw is offline Koonw
diyAudio Member

Attached is triode plot curve for 6p30n. You draw the loadline taught by TubeCab.
Attached Images
File Type: png 6p30b triode plot.png (85.3 KB, 56 views)

Looking for 6P30B Amp SchematicHide this!Advertise here!