• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for 6P30B Amp Schematic

Hello, everyone. I have recently joined this forum in pursuit to build a sub mini tube amplifier for my home setup. I have built quite a few circuits since I've started DIY electronics a few years back and would really like to get this one done. I had finally decided to purchase a turn table to play some records I had been given years ago and of course I was not prepared lacking a preamp and an amp/receiver to power a pair of speakers.

A couple years back I've purchased a bunch of 6N16B and 6N17B triodes and also a handful of 6P30B pentodes. Since I'm not a conditioned or savvy electrical engineer I am hoping someone around the forum may have an amplifier circuit that uses these tubes they could send my way.

I have chosen this forum due to the popularity of turntable topics. I have also found here the Mini-Me Preamp that uses 6N16B tubes and I am for sure going to use this for the MM RIAA preamp. I believe what would come next is a stereo amplifier with a a few preamp controls (ya know, like a guitar amp but not as noisy).

To note; my experiences have been with stompboxes, synths and one tube amp under my belt (deluxe reverb).

EDIT: this being my first post I may have put it in the wrong subject of the site. My apologies. EDIT AGAIN; looks like it was moved. Thank you :D

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing those links. Though I have reviewed them prior to this making this thread.

The trouble is not knowing the source of the schematics that have been posted around the internet I'm not sure if their verified nor do I know what the power specs of certain parts would be. I was hoping perhaps someone around had a schematic they could elaborate on a bit more.

I might not mind a SE setup since I don't often crank of amps to rattling volumes. For now I'm looking for something to experiment with and I guess what I can find is good enough to start. I'll surely have to learn a bit more of the designing side of things.

Attachments

• microchamp-5.jpg
    microchamp-5.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 714
@Wavebourn Thanks for sharing that schematic of your amp! If there was more information I'd probably throw one together myself :D

@Koonw The simpicity of this SE schematic is a good place to start. I'm not sure if it's verified nor do I know what wattage resistors to use so I'm not frying things. Also it doesn't show the rated primary impedance of the output transformer. I'd like to find something with tone controls but I don't see too many hifi amp schematics with these options.
304726d1349354890-experience-transformers-6p30b-pp-amp-se_6n16b_6p30b_-gif

Someone on this site has said it's a drop in replacement for a 5902 pentode. Comparing datasheets they don't seem too far apart but I wouldn't be sure enough to use a 5902 schematic with the same values.

I have an SMPS that I threw together and failed to get working. I may pick at this today but I plan to snag these transformers for the final unit. It seems I have a couple of options on how I could use the output transformers so I figured they were worth snagging.
PT
OT (2 of them for stereo)

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
By looking at the other schematic, about 5mA for R4=47k Wattage=I*I*R=0.005*0.005*47000=1.175W, use 2W for R4. R6=0.005*0.005*1000=0.25W.
About 30mA for R9=330 Wattage=0.03*0.03*330=0.29W, use 1W for R9.

The rest can use 1/4W to 1W.

For 4k OPT, if it is 30H the bottom freqency is about 20Hz, for same inductance if 8k the bottom frequency is double to 40Hz. Ask manufacturer for the inductance value if not given.

f = Z/(2*Pi*L)
L=30H, Z=8000
f=8000/(2*3.142*30)
f=8000/188.5=42Hz
if Z=4000
f=4000/188.5=21Hz

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
Here is asc file for 6p30n triode plot. You need to use "View->manual limits" to define the top and bottom current range you wish to displayed. You also plot the power dissipation curve by adding trace with this formula 5w/va. where 5w is power dissipation.

Attachments

• 6p30b plot.asc
    988 bytes · Views: 51
  • 6p30b triode plot-2.png
    6p30b triode plot-2.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 277
  • 6p30b set loadline2.png
    6p30b set loadline2.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
I greatly appreciate you posting your work! It will surely be handy as I wrap my head around everything.

You putting the inductance rating into question educated me on something I did not consider entering the world of hifi audio. For that reason I had moved away from using line matching transformers as an OT and I had learned many if not all of the budget transformers I had been reviewing should not be purposed for circuits aimed for a quality spectrum of frequency response but would suffice for guitar amps. Looking around for alternatives and checking out the market for decent tube audio transformers I had found the EDCOR website. I eventually came full circuit to a project called Poddwatt. I had purchased the transformer set for the project which would work excellent for the submini project but likely will be put to use in a Poddwatt of my own.

In the world of hifi, I'm finding to not cut corners. In the general world of tube circuits, there is still much for me to learn.