• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Care and Feeding of EL84 / 6BQ5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm getting ready to button op a hybrid push-pull design that uses a sand-state front end with EL84 output. At present I'm using the JJ tubes. My power supply transformer came from a Fisher console, and its B+ is on the frisky side of 400V. This may quiet down a bit when I get around to loading it down, but in case it's still on the high side, can I preserve tube life by lowering the screen voltage and observing dissipation limits?

I think 400V B+ is no problem as long as screen is held at about 300V and plate dissipation is observed. SY somewhere here stated of obtaining 25+W using 500+V B+ and 300V Screen on his RLD. Roger Modjeski's RM10 is 35+W with 700V B+ and 350V screen with an estimated 5000-10000hr tube life due to low 15 ma bias.

I built an amplifier a few years ago that ran EL84 / 6BQ5's with 430 volts on the plate, 320 volts on the screen, and a 6600 ohm OPT. Power transformer was an Antek toroid.

It made 60 watts per channel with 4 tubes in PPP and still has the same tubes in it (Baldwin branded Sylvanias from an old organ amp) . JJ's, old Sylvania or RCA 6BQ5's were the only tubes that I tried that lived at those levels. Modern Russian or Chinese stuff red plated, red screened, or just went poof!

Well George, I was also astonished when I first found out, and RM10 is still Roger's current product. In 2009 he also claimed "I have tried EL-84s from Russia, China, USA and Eastern Europe." I guess for PP EL84, he went a bit further than the rest of us. You can find more details here, perhaps you can dig something useful, some of the things he said are over my head.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.