• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Plitron single ended transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
oops

Attachments

• BOSS 46 dr corrected copy.jpg
    BOSS 46 dr corrected copy.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 233
I can’t reall give you the most solid scientific explanation but in general, they make the system quieter by isolating the power supplies. Note that there is a final cap and inductor for each tube...that tiny “power supply” is for each tube only. The main big ones feed the little ones and their noise cannot leak into the little ones.

Just a little update on the amp with the Plitron SE outputs. It keeps getting better.

I did not think it took so long for outputs to come into their own...but it could just be my ear and brain getting used to "looking for" more music. And too, I have put the EML 45 back into the circuit and can't bring myself to reinsert the 46. Where once the 45 lacked a certain musicality, a gentle expansion of notes, warmth, bloom etc, now the detail, attack and decay all combine to bring at once more information and that "warmth". I'd guess it used to come from an over emphasis the 46 put on the parts I most wanted to hear, now with the 45, it comes from what was put there by the musicians and engineers. It is so hard to separate enjoyment from facts but it is a delight to have two good choices to do the exploration with.:)

Stay tuned if you are interested in Rod Coleman DC regulators. I am going to try them out on this design to see what they offer.

It is a massive retrofit so give me a while.

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.