• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Advise on SE amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I'm looking for schematics of a good sounding SE amp (maybe one of some classic ones) with the following parameters: up to 5W +-, anode voltage up to 300 V. No special preferences in tubes. I have experience in building tube and solid-state amps. Any advice is welcome. Thank you in afvance

If you are in Moscow, why not use Russian tubes? I have been using 4P1L as output tubes now for many years in PSE. Needs an output transformer between 3K and 5K. For the input tube I would recommend the 2P29L. Just 2 stage should work into single unit full range speakers. Here's a draft schematic I just put together, hopefully no obvious errors. This uses filament bias for both stages. The voltage regs are Rod Coleman designs from Lyrima - you need 4. This is pretty much the amp I use myself, and I would use it in preference to 300b designs which I used previously.

Attachments

• 4P1L PSE 2P29L.png
    4P1L PSE 2P29L.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 854
I'm in Moscow, but i tend to build an amp based on up-to-date produced tubes. I've already had experience in building se and pp based on 6p14p and 6n2p but there were too much noise because of poor quality of aged tubes. That's why i'm planning to build on the ones from JJ etc.

Not nearly 5 WPC, but easy to execute and good sounding is the provided 6BM8/ECL82 design based on a Mullard original. Russian made 6BM8 equivalents are reasonably plentiful.

BTW, the Triad N-68X in the B+ supply is "universal".

Attachments

• dcsedx2_fixed.gif
    dcsedx2_fixed.gif
    44.4 KB · Views: 830
I'm in Moscow, but i tend to build an amp based on up-to-date produced tubes. I've already had experience in building se and pp based on 6p14p and 6n2p but there were too much noise because of poor quality of aged tubes. That's why i'm planning to build on the ones from JJ etc.

All the 4P1L I've used - and I have over 150 - have been excellent Svetlana production, which measure and sound fine. The 2P29L are good too. But if you want a Western flavour, I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions. The 4P1L was originally a German military design.

"Lacewood" employs UL mode O/P tubes, but lacks loop NFB. The chances of inadequate damping factor are, unfortunately, substantial. A possibility is tweaking the 6SN7 section voltage amplifiers by CCS, instead of resistively, loading. The increase in gain would support loop NFB of some kind.

The current production 6V6 to use is New Sensor's "reissue" TungSol manufactured at Saratov, Russia.

The project you linked looks good to me. You will get suggestions about other ideas and what you can change on it, but since somebody already built it you know it works !

Do you use 6n6c ?
Currently i did not use 6п6с as well as 4P1L.
One more 4P1L SE looks interesting, except fo 2.5 W of output. I haven't seen transistor current sources in tube amps :) By the way what kind of output transformer is used in this project? 300B is of no interest to me. Please give me some more examples of good SE schematics (with no . I'd like to study deeply all of them and to pick the one for me.

Last edited:
One more 4P1L SE looks interesting, except fo 2.5 W of output.

2.5W output is in class A2 for a single 4P1L, on 5K load. 2 in parallel on 2.5K load produce 5W in class A2.

In common Russian designs they are used in class A1, 1.8W only from a tube.

Speaking of transistors, it is common on this forum, unlike audioportal where religious beliefs rule.

In this particular amp it is not just a CCS, it is a gyrator, it is explained in the thread.

Last edited:
I'm speaking about 300 volts on cathode. For my purpose i've picked up 6v6 as output tube. Will there be any recommendations about schematics based on this tube?

Just checked and there are a number of schematics out there of SE amps based on the 6V6. When you pick a design I think it is important to pick one that has been built and reviewed by at least a number of people. The reason being that anyone can post a schematic online, but not everyone is a good designer. There are designs (not necessarily based around the 6V6 though) floating around that are not particularly good sounding or even contain serious design flaws.

An alternative you might want to consider is the 2A3. Not quite the 5 watt you are looking for, but relatively straightforward to build and there are plenty of well established designs around.

Regards, Tom

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.